Hand Therapy

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
TNT1999

Hand Therapy

Post by TNT1999 »

I've never seen this topic posted, although I haven't been on the board too regularly for quite a while now, so maybe I've just missed any hand therapy posts. I just wanted to mention that our daughter (who's almost 5 y.o.) recently had hand therapy recommended. It's so different than any of the other PT and OT that we've done. We really focus on very specific wrist / hand / finger exercises. I don't know how much it will benefit Nicole and if it will eliminate the need for future surgery, but we're giving it a try. It's definitely "more work and less play." At the facility, they usually see adults or much older children so it's not like the hospital where Nicole had OT and there was a room filled with toys. I don't think it would be successful with a child any younger than Nicole and even with her it's difficult to keep her focused and paying attention. To Nicole, it feels like a longer appt. than she used to have for OT, yet we're usually only there for 1/2 hour compared to 1 hour OT appts.

There are therapists (PTs and OTs, but usually OTs) who are actually certified in hand therapy (CHTs -- Certified Hand Therapists). I found some from the following websites which had listings by state -- http://www.htcc.org & http://www.asht.org . Then, I asked some of Nicole's present therapists for their recommendations.

Anyway, I just thought I'd bring up the topic in case anyone else could benefit from hand therapy, but didn't know that there were therapists who specialized in this and are certified in this area.

-Tina
Francine_Litz

Re: Hand Therapy

Post by Francine_Litz »

tina - thanks for posting this!!
it's a keeper! (already in my favorites!!)
big hugs,
francine
admin
Site Admin

Re: Hand Therapy

Post by admin »

Let me start by what you said and thank you.I am 50 a master diver and I drive a semi.First theopy is very important, but when I was a child I hate it becuse it focus on me being differant,I was in easter seals that let me make things and I did with the simple grasp I have In my Erbs Arm I was so happy ,A child to me today, because I lived with Erbs all theys years.Needs to make exercize the Erbs arm as play to ,and making things.because it focus more that a child can do thing, make things or sports and builds self esteem,it will also make them proud and you.If you have any qestions just ask Tom.