Anyone Golf?

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
veggiebug
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I weighed 11 lbs. 4 oz. when I was born.
I was delivered by forceps which resulted in my ROBPI.
I've never had any surgical intervention.

Anyone Golf?

Post by veggiebug »

Does anyone with BP Golf?
Sorry I may have asked this before but I did search first and I didn't find a response. I didn't go to the driving range last year because I broke my BP arm but now I think it's time to try again.
I want to go to the golf course for the first time but I know I will be horrible since it doesn't go far but I kind of enjoy hitting the ball. And I thought I'd try a new sport that my husband enjoys.
How can I get better at it? I think someone may have mentioned hitting one handed, can you hit farther that way since my BP arm isn't holding me back?
Any thoughts please let me know.

Thanks everyone :)

-Traci
rachelcasa

Re: Anyone Golf?

Post by rachelcasa »

I am a very amateur golfer. I really enjoyed it, however, I haven't done it since my surgery last Sept. I may try to hit the driving range and see how it goes. I used to play softball too. It hurts to much now, I guess thats why I've not tried to golf since.
BrianD

Post by BrianD »

I just played in a golf tournament on Sat. I am not good at it. But I can hit it pretty far. I have a really bad slice(not a drink . . . the ball goes right!!) I am hoping that after my surgery next month, I will be able to get rid of that slice. I can't hold the club right. Everytime I swing I can't seem to follow through correctly. Not being able to straighten my arm doesn't help either. Nonetheless I really enjoy golfing. As painful as it is, I will keep playing it.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

my name is adam. i have bpp. I can hit a golf ball over 250 yards. You need to use your healthy arm as your bottom hand. Then just hit the ball.
Lefty4

Post by Lefty4 »

I can hit a golf ball over 260 yards with a cheap club. I suffer from a ripped brachial plexus in my right arm since birth. My arm is severely paralyzed. The best advice I can give you is to use your healthy arm as your bottom hand. Keep your eye on the ball and just swing.
shan2321

Post by shan2321 »

I've tried golf before, I just use my good arm as the bottom one, I can get a pretty good shot off that way. Same in hockey, I was pretty good at ice hockey and used my good arm basically to whack the puck. good ol' lefty didn't do much.

Shannon
veggiebug
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I weighed 11 lbs. 4 oz. when I was born.
I was delivered by forceps which resulted in my ROBPI.
I've never had any surgical intervention.

Post by veggiebug »

Thanks everyone, I did make it to the driving range the other day and for the first time in two years the farthest I hit was one ball that made it a little over 100 yards. But not bad for the first day.
Funny thing was I thought I'd try one handed and I did well when I hit it but it's not acturate but it gives my arm a rest maybe I'll practice both.
We're going again tomorrow, and maybe I'll get the courage this weekend to goof off at the golf course.

-Traci