Martin Sheen

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Stephanie

Martin Sheen

Post by Stephanie »

I was wondering if any of you knew that Martin Sheen has an OBPI? I know it's been discussed here before.
Anyway, my boss is a great fan of of the TV show, West Wing. She purchase a CD of the complete second season. On the special features CD, Martin Sheen discusses his OBPI. On the show, his character puts his jacket on in a peculiar manner. He explains how that was really the way he has to put on a coat, due to the birth injury he received from a forceps delivery.
I'll have to go back and take a closer look at some of his old films......

-Stephanie
Shannon03

Re: Martin Sheen

Post by Shannon03 »

Wow, I didn't know this. I'm going to have to see if any West Wing reruns are on the satellite tonight! Thanks
Shannon
kamren

Post by kamren »

I had never heard that before.
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Stephanie

I am not a fan of Martin Sheens. When I read the reader's digest article on him I started to watch the show just to see if it was true and I noticed immediately that he is OBPI.

I wrote to the show and to his agency and never received a response. I was surprised when someone told me that he was going to get MS ( I don't know because I don't watch the show) So I wrote to the program and suggested they give him a bpi or something to do with his OBPI... no response

I assumed that he just did not want to bring too much focus on his arm for fear of type casting... but now that you said he explains it on his cd... I don't understand, he an activist yet does not seem to be interested/or "his people" never passed on the messages. I know that several parents wrote to him hoping he would step up and get some national focus for us.

Kath
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Carrie

Post by Carrie »

I am a fan of Martin Sheen. Martin Sheen as a political activist has championed many causes and helped a lot of people. So what if brachial plexus injuries aren't one of them. Just because he may have a BPI doesn't require him to become an activist for injured families. I've seen him talk about his injury in Reader's Digest, Inside the Actor's Studio, and now on the West Wing DVD. Looks to me like he is telling his story, and he is spreading awareness. Why are we requiring him to become an activist for birth injured individuals? Where is it set in stone that there's only one way to have this injury?
Carrie
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Carrie
I did not mean that he should be required to speak for OBPI... as I said it may not be in his best interests. But there is no harm in asking if he would like to help...
I also read that he did not have a name for the injury and wrote to give him the name. He is about my age and many of my generation did not know that this injury was called Erb's Palsy.

Kath
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There is no harm in asking him to help us, and there is no harm in him not being interested in using his injury to help others with bpi-he does help others but in a much wider sense. He is a true activist and the causes he supports are in my opinion wonderful-I couldn't admire him more.
If I was famous I'm not sure I'd like the focus to be on my bpi, either. He is a good man.
njbirk

Post by njbirk »

A few years ago, UBPN sent an official letter telling Mr. Sheen about our organization and inviting him to get involved with us. We included a few back issues of Outreach. We did not hear back and I presume he is simply not interested and that, of course, is his choice.

Nancy Birk
UBPN President
shan2321

Post by shan2321 »

I hope this link works. Here you can DEFINITELY see the difference in his left and right arms... Least he can open his hand all the way.. :-P lucky...

http://www.prisma-online.de/image/64/mm ... b2164.jpeg