Should we take legal action?

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
admin
Site Admin

Should we take legal action?

Post by admin »

Hi,
I'm a mom of little boy with lbpi. My husband and I have been trying to decide if we should take legal action. I've spoken with 7 different attorneys, all of which say they will take our case. I just don't know if we want to go down that road. I don't want to be a parent that sues! As an adult with this injury what advice would you give us? Did your parents sue for you or do you wish they would of taken legal action? I really wish I didn't have to focus on the legal side of things. I want to focus on just working with the injury and going forward. Please give me some awareness of what you would or would not do. I want to do what is best for my son of course. Thanks for any comments.
kamren

Re: Should we take legal action?

Post by kamren »

I know I wish my parents had sued.....just to have made it so I got the best medical care I could have gotten, not what the military gave me.
melbenelbeny

Post by melbenelbeny »

Take legal action as soon as you can. My parents are doing it now though I wont get anything out of it for a few more years yet. But the younger the better, the more likely you'll succed in it. I would say its the better option for you soon in the long run aswell anyway.He has to live life with a (in some cases) preventable disability and should at least be able to get something back. all the therapy and exercises in the world wont fix it completly, at least if you win the case he'll get enough money out of it to help him get by in life, with out having to fork it out of his own or your pocket.
shan2321

Post by shan2321 »

I wish my parents would have as well. but at the time I think the issue was not the hospitals fault, but the moms fault for having a big broad shouldered baby... Oh well, too late now. :-P
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Unfortunately it was not just the time then, it is still that way now. In the hospital I was told by the delivering physician right after the injury that "your pelvis was too small for your baby's shoulders". Boy, talk about blame and guilt, too bad she didn't speak the truth about what really caused the injury.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If I were you I would go for it, what do you have to lose. I am now 33 years old with it and when I question my mother about it.. she says back then you didnt do things like that.. people didnt sue people so easily back then. But if she knew then what she knows now.. believe me she would of sued.. She and I almost died when i was delivered, so for her at that time, she was just thankful for both of us to be alive..But I think you should go for it... everyone here would support you emotionally... what ever you need... Good Luck , I wish you the best. Kim
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Another go for it vote here!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

yessssssssssss
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thank you everyone for your comments. I've been asking everyone what I should do about the legal thing. I've even asked a few doctors. Everyone is telling us to take legal action. It is really nice to hear it from someone who has the injury as an adult. I don't want my son to turn back and say Dad and Mom why didn't you go after my best interest? Thanks for your support.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Take legal action. The Dr. should have measured your pelvis and done a C-section. This is a preventable injury! It is a lifelong injury . Do it for your child. I wish my parents could have sued. It just wasn't done in the 1950's.
Take care
Pat