Questions re: clothing for an adult woman after surgery.

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
admin
Site Admin

Questions re: clothing for an adult woman after surgery.

Post by admin »

I am planning to have the Mod Quad surgery in Feb 2005 and I was wondering about what clothing I will be able to wear. I live by myself and I am not sure what type of clothes specifically tops & bras that I will be able to put on over the splints by myself. Any woman who has undergone the surgery could you please help me with this information so I could start getting clothes lined up for post surgery. Also after the surgery did you have to rely on someone to help you the whole time you were splinted with getting dressed, doing hair etc...
kamren

Re: Questions re: clothing for an adult woman after surgery.

Post by kamren »

I had lost about 90 pounds before my surgery....so I use clothes that I used to wear before the weight loss. They were huge, but fit over the splint.
rachelcasa

Post by rachelcasa »

Null,
I too was worried about what clothes I could wear or not wear. I bought just a few shirts that were a bit bigger. Something that I could easily slip on over my arm. I was able to still move my arm so really I wore what I normally did. What type of surgery are you having done? I was able to take my brace off and on so it made it easier to get dressed in the mornings. Good Luck to you.
tnmoore

Post by tnmoore »

Dr Nath said it would be the Mod Quad surgery, but he said I will have to be in a splint/cast for 3 months and it sounds like everyone else who has gone through the same surgery has had it less than that so I am not sure. He stated I would be having surgery in my shoulder to loosen up the tight muscles, and I would need the biceps/tendon lengthening to improve my 90 degree contracture at my elbow. For 3 weeks I will have a big pillow type splint and than transfer over to another type of splint to let the biceps recover from the surgery and he said that it would be 3 months for that. I am not sure what to expect with that splint. Looking at some pictures of some of the splints I was wondering how I would get tops on and also get my bra on, and that was why I originally asked the question. So thanks for your answers and I will purchase bigger clothes to accomodate the splint.
njbirk

Post by njbirk »

I don't know if you live in a cold climate or not but I had the mod quad in a winter month and I live in a place with lots of cold and snow. I found that I could not wear ANY of my coats but I had a friend who had a woolen poncho and that worked really well over the splint.

Nancy
tnmoore

Post by tnmoore »

I live in Iowa and our winters are pretty cold with lots of snow. I get hot very easily and that is why I am planning to have the surgery in the winter months as I did not want to wear the splint during our hot humid months. I usually wear turtlenecks and sweatshirts in the winter as coats are so bulky and sometimes to warm for me so coats shouln't be too much of a problem for me. It will be the sweatshirts and turtlenecks. I will definitely keep the poncho thing in mind. Thanks
Dean-na

Post by Dean-na »

I had the mod quad almost a year ago...wow time really does fly. I had it done in the summer & thought I was going to die because of the splint. Mine was a pillow splint & boy was it hot. As far as shirts buy bigger ones to fit over your arm, but you take the splint off to get the shirt on. As far as a bra & had to have someone to help me. Maybe a sports bra that you don't have to fasten or one that hooks in the front.

Deanna
Brenda

Post by Brenda »

I just posted a link to a site, with lists of companies that make adaptive clothing, on the general board. I actually got the list cause my grandma had a stroke and is now paralyzed. My daughter has LOBPI and I thought it would make a great resource, or so I hope.

http://www.makoa.org/clothing.htm