Swimming w/ a bpi or two

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Karl w/ a K

Swimming w/ a bpi or two

Post by Karl w/ a K »

Just curious how many of us bpi types swim. How do you accomplish this task? I was shown a sidestroke, but I was too uncoordinated to use it. So I dug out my scuba mask and snorkel, and started swimming face down free-style. It works pretty well. Let me know how you do it (swim that is). Cheers....Karl....
Gayle Ozzy

Re: Swimming w/ a bpi or two

Post by Gayle Ozzy »

Hi Karl,
I have right bpi and left arm amputated and a can swim quite well face down or on my back, but I would recommend flippers and goggles. Swimming is such a relief on that dragging arm isn't it! We live about 1 1/2 hours out of town so we are aiming to get one out here.
Good luck with you swimming.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Here is a good idea that I received in my yahoo account after posting a similiar message. I have not tried it. Between work and family, I have not found the time. I was also thinking a full body swim suit that Olympic swimmers wear now would work well. You get just tuck the BPI arm inside the suit. I do that with my wetsuit when I go bodyboarding or snorkeling.

"Hi Rich, I just got back from the pool. While there I got thinking about the sling while swimming issue. I'm not sure if this would work for you but I thought of something that could make swimming more comfortable. I have some use of my arm and hand now so my tests today may not work for you. Anyways here's the idea. Get one of those swim noodles they sell for kids. Cut a piece 9-12" long. Flatten one edge by cutting off a piece along the length of the tube. This edge will go against your hand and arm. Cut 2or 3 slits about 1-2" in length through the tube. Feed velcro straps through the slits and use to attach the noodle to your arm I figured a strap across the knuckles, one by the wrist and one an inch from the end. Once attached the noodle will keep your arm afloat. I tried it with a piece I held onto so it wasn't as stasble as I would have liked. When doing the front crawl I kept my arm bent like it was in a sling but the noodle kept it floating. Very comfortable - no drag on the arm. Then I tried backstroke with my arm extended along my side. Again worked great. Next I tried front crawl again but with the arm extended along my side. This wasn't as comfortable but I found it gave me a really good extended stretch that I normally can't get - so it was good for ROM. Anyways I thought the idea might interest you. I'm not sure how good my descriptions are but if you need clarification let me know. If you try it, let me know how it works out...."

-Rich
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

hi my name is emmerson i am 10 years old and i have bpi and i have just started at the local swimming club as i want to be in the paraolimpics i can do most of the strokes but i find butterfly the hardest and i can dive the same as every one else i find if you wear cuff and collar sling with my arm tucked in
a shirt to stop my arm flinging around is best when i
do any sport
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Emmerson,

That's Awesonme ! Keep us posted on how you do in the paralympics. As far as the t-shirt that you tuck your arm into, do you use a standard cotton t-shirt or do you use a rash guard. The rash guard is made of a nylon and lycra material so it creates last drag in the water. Here is a link

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 9?v=glance

I live in a beach town in southern california. Surfers wear the rash guard when surfing in the summer time so they do not get a rash on their chest from their board. The rash guard is very tight fitting and offers very little resistance in te water.

Next question - How do you dive ? That's cool. I injured my arm 12 years ago and have not dove into the water yet. I jump feet first. I used to swim competitively for 12 years and I miss diving into the pool. Take it easy and make us proud over on this board !

-Rich
jacko

Post by jacko »

I love swimming. In UK pools you are not allowed to wear SCUBA gear when doing ordinary swimming - not even just the mask- which really annoys me, as it means I have to wear swimming goggles and a nose clip.
I now swim a LOT more slowly than I used to with two arms, and I think that a lot of my energy is taken up with constantly making those tiny little corrections that you don't even notice in order to swim in a straight line. It really annoys me that even using my best stroke, I cannot overtake a woman swimming with her head out of the water trying to keep her hair dry!
Henry

Post by Henry »

Swimming is terrific.

I did do the chop so that makes a difference.

I do the front crawl and have no problem, other than the odd joke from a civilian about swimming in circles.

So clever.

I'm thinking of scuba lessons this winter.

Diving is also not a problem. I just do it.

Last one in the pool is a rotten egg!!

Henry
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Post by jennyb »

I do a kind of sidestroke, or a weird one arm breaststroke. Like Jacko says, you do waste a lot of energy correcting yourself. Treading water means a LOT of action from the non bpi arm. I was a good diver before the bpi, I just carried on. The flail arm obviously prevents a perfect clean dive but it's good enough.
Be great if one of us got in the paralympics!
athos

Post by athos »

Hi, I used to be a good swimmer before BPI. I swam competitively when I was younger.

My accident was in Jan. 2000. For 1 year after accident I didnt bother going swimming, because the arm was simply not moving, so it seemed like a waste of time.

After that, swimming became my main exercize, and I made good use of my swimming skills. I used to go in the fast lane, and the pool warden would tell me to move to the slow lane. But now things have changed. I now do over 60 lengths in 25 m. pool, and I'm firmly in the fast lane. Very rarely do I get overtaken, and only by expert swimmers. I would say I go at quite good pace now, and my BPI arm is definitely moving plenty of water. It's still getting stronger now.

I think swimming is the best exercize, particularly if you were a good swimmer, and if your arm moves a little. U then can make good use of ur swimming skills to exercise the arm, and to maintain a decent stroke even if BPI arm is quite flail, and u go slowly.