Was your baby cranky?

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Lexijason2004

Was your baby cranky?

Post by Lexijason2004 »

I don't know why I never thought to ask this before, but I just saw someone mention in their post about their baby being cranky. We used to say my son was "fussy but consolable" for the first 6 months. He needed a LOT of rocking, snuggling, swaddling, white noise, etc, although he wasn't so bad as colic.

Within a few days after his surgery (mod quad at 6 months) he mellowed out. We've always attributed this to starting solids and sleep training very soon after surgery, but...

Did anyone else experience a cranky baby that you attribute to the injury? I just hate to think that he was in constant pain (that's probably why I "choose" to think he was happier eating more and sleeping better).

Lexi (mom to Jason, LOBPI, 15 months old)
momofnickelman

Re: Was your baby cranky?

Post by momofnickelman »

My son did not sleep but for 20 minute cat naps for the first year of his life. He needed to be held/cuddled all the time and would wake up instantly if layed flat. If it weren't for his Dad and big sisters who loved to hold him I wouldn't have gotten anything done. He also liked his swing as long as it was still going. Looking back I know he was in a lot of pain. That breaks my heart to think about but I am just glad we had the patience and instinct to just hold him. The good thing is he is making up for his lost sleep now with around 12 hours a night at the age of 4 1/5. He still loves to be cuddle and snuggled so we call him "the cuddle king". We are enjoying it while we can because I have heard boys get to a point where they don't want that anymore.
kd's daddy

Post by kd's daddy »

KD for the first 12 months only sleeping maybe 1 hour at a time and wake up screaming. There was no consoling her. My wife had to go on prozac and was really messed up. Blaming herself and not being able to help stop the pain of KD. I was a good Dad and helped as much as possible with working 60 plus hrs a week since we lost my wifes income. I would take Jeni and KD to her Moms while I was at work so she could nap while Nanna would take care of KD. It was a crazy time and I do know about a cranky baby.

Also these QUACKS that say the baby doesnt feel pain from these injuries are full of cra-p. Babies feel pain.

So please dont feel secluded. I am sure it happens to all our beautiful children.
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

This may sound strange but my siblings still tell me no one slept in the house for a year after I was born.
They were teenagers so I guess they remember.
It was a big family joke and said teasing so I never took it too personal because I am the youngest.

They all assumed it was because of the brace and use to sneak into my room and loosen the straps...
My mother use to catch them.
They thought she was mean for making me wear it when it made me unhappy...

I am still the world's lightest sleeper and a poor one.

Kath (adult/robpi)
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

My Tricia's behavior changed drastically after her primary surgery. I have no doubt that she was in constant pain for the first 5 months of her life.
-Cori
PeggyF

Post by PeggyF »

Emma slept great for about the first month of her life. I think she was recooping from a very difficult birth. She was swollen and bruised all over. After that, she was a VERY CRANKY baby. I had to stand up with her and kind of bounce around (for a very long time); she did not like to recline at all.
Her primary surgery wasn't done until she was a year old (somewhat late for primary); she was still a very difficult sleeper until after her mod-quad at almost 3 years of age.
She still doesn't like to sleep, but she does and she sleeps much better than she did when she was a baby.

Peggy
BIGJAVSMOM

Post by BIGJAVSMOM »

Not only did Javier not sleep through the night til he was one. But even now he wakes up screaming. he is now going back to sleep on his own, but there are some nights that he has to get in our bed. i try to give him massages on both sides after his bath and that seems to help- a little. he is also made very upset by white lab coats. kd's daddy is right, our kids do feel pain and anyone who says otherwise is way wrong.

MArlyn

you can also try lavender wash and lotion. i still use it on my 5 almost 6 year old son. it is very calming and relaxing.
CW1992

Post by CW1992 »

Hey all,
I'm sorry that I can not relate to the original poster. Britt actually was smiling right after she was born - (I have a newborn pic to prove it! LOL) always happy and never fussy at all. Here she was with her head all swollen from the forceps, an open, pussy wound on her big head, a completely paralized arm - and smiled at us immediately like "well guys here I am!! - I'm your daughter!!" - her sister was a happy baby too but didn't smile until she was four weeks old. I guess that I lucked out - no fussiness or colic. Gees - this injury is tricky - you never know what might be related to their injury or what might be about just who they were meant to be.
Christy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

My daughter was in severe pain until she had her primary surgery. I've always said that primary surgery was miraculous for her. Of course her nerves were repaired but the biggest change was that she was SO happy. It became very clear to us that she had been in terrible pain since her birth until that point.
brandonsmom

Post by brandonsmom »

My son was cranky and didn't like to be put down for anything. He loved to be carried, and liked to stand on your lap but would never ever sit on it. I went and bought and excersaucer and then he was fine.....he would fall asleep in it and then I would move him. He liked to snuggle but had to recline he would not sit to cuddle....He is seven now and still doesn't sit......he is always reclining......WEIRD. I too believe that these children are in a great deal of pain and they do not even know it.