Fell through the cracks???

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
admin
Site Admin

Fell through the cracks???

Post by admin »

I am just trying to get all the information about this BP that I can get. But first let me introduce myself.
I am Belinda and first hear about BP on our News Station. It struck me hard. My son is 11yrs old now. He has had a problem with his whole arm for many yrs now. First of all he was born in 1990. His birth was not easy. He was 5 wks early, weight was 6 pounds and 9 oz. Yes, big for early. He was born with his left arm twisted around to the back of his head. They had to break my tail bone for him to be able to come through the birth canal. Had big scratches in his left arm. The nurse had to get on top of me to help push the baby out, while the doctor used forceps!!! Now that that is over again, at about 4 months of age we noticed that he use only his right arm and hand and drew up his left arm and had. It was odd to us. Well we told the doctor this and all he said was take him home and treat him like a normal child. SLAP!!!! So from there my son did not meet milestones and was considered developementally delayed. The therapist always wondered why he didn't use his left hand and I explained to her about the birth. I was told that it could not be a birth injury. I had an orthopedic xray his shoulder or arm, not sure where he xrayed him at exactly. Didn't see anything. Another person to tell me it was due to Cerebal Palsy. Well isn't CP from brain injury??? He had abgars of 8 and 9 and had no oxygen. He can use his hand somewhat, but has problems pulling up his pants, gripping things and can not stretch his arm out straight. When he tries and then tries to put his hand out to hand him something he can not do it. He is low tone. The second part of this story is that we he was 2 1/2 we did find out that my son was born with a genetic disorder, but I don't believe this has anything to do with his arm. His right arm is perfect. So what I am trying to get at is who do I need to see, cause I am not seeing the same pediatric doctor, because he is a jerk and misdiagnois my son on several other occasions. Should I start with my son's ped doctor and get his birth records from the hospital and go through his medical history with a fine tooth comb. All I want is to be able to help my son if at all possible. I am not looking to blame. Maybe the first ped doc. He sent us home. I admit, I don't know all the medical fact of problems that can happen. I saw pictures on a web site that was posted on here and I started crying. I wept hard. Some of those children's arms look like my son's. When he used to scoot on his butt, his little arm would just drag behind him. I am just appauld and disgusted if this is what happened to him. I feel like I have failed him. Please help me. You can email me personally at bglencoe@home.com
Belinda
francine

I have emailed you.

Post by francine »

admin
Site Admin

Re: Fell through the cracks???

Post by admin »

First, let me say how sorry I am to hear about your sons problem and your lack of support from the medical community. It was unclear to me wheter he was not able to use his arm since birth or if it started at 4 months. Has he ever had an EMG or MRI of the Brachial Plexus area on the affected side? Perhaps that could shed some light onto what is happening there. I would seek advice from a pediatric Neurologist and a secondary opinion from some one familiar with BPI such as Texas Children's Hospital or another facility that is dedicated to BPI to rule it out or diagnose it. But, most importantly DO NOT blame your self, keep seeking answers and do the best you can. It is apparent that you love your child and he will know you did the best you could. You are depending on the "Experts" to do their jobs too. Just educate yourself and follow your instincts...Good Luck to you and Post again with an update.
Stephanie
crystal

Re: Fell through the cracks???

Post by crystal »

I have had a lot of luck with Texas childrend hospital. Have them look at him. we traveled from st. louis to see them. they are a great team. another thing is see a lawyer ASAP. may just to see what happend or to sue. it will get you closer. good luck