Scholarships

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Phillyking87

Scholarships

Post by Phillyking87 »

i was wondering if there were any Scholarships out there for people with BPI. I'm plaining on going to college soon. but yea..Just wondering
Phillyking87

Re: Scholarships

Post by Phillyking87 »

oh yea if you guys were wondering about the project.... i'm presenting it soon.. i just have to come up with powerpoint.
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

Thats awesome that you get to present about your project. I feel so bad, you sent me your paper and I have been so busy with school that I have not even had a chance to read it. Maybe next week I will get a chance. But for now I have about 6 papers to write and a big group project to finish. Why is it in college they save all the big assignments for the end of the semester?
I really want to know how your presentation goes, I only wish I could see you present it. I am sure you will do great! Have fun with it.
Good luck finding scholarships, if you find any let me know, college is so expensive!
Well I better get back to my paper.
Talk to you soon,
Amy 19 ROBPI from MN
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The Brachial PLexus Palsy Foundation in PA has an Educational Scholarship Fund that they are fundraising for. http://www.brachialplexuspalsyfoundation.org.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

PhillyKing,
Also check with your local office of the Department(or Bureau) of Vocational Rehabilitation(State)..DVR or BVR...in Philadelphia. Your high school counselor can refer you, or you can apply online yourself...there may be a waiting list so the sooner you make that application the better.

PLEASE email me your paper on BPI. I want to read it!
Hugs,
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
scottcj98406@comcast.net
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
ptrefam

Post by ptrefam »

We are also looking to this in WI. Dustin is registered for college in the fall. With his injuries just don't know what kind of work he would be able to do. He has some other issues besides the bp injury. When we head to therapy today we are going to ask the hospital social worker as one of his friends with cancer was set up threw them. Hoping she will help us in the right direction.
Sue
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

Sue, where in Wisconsin are you? I am in Superior every Monday night but for the most part I am in Duluth, MN for college.
Good luck at your appt today!
Amy 19 ROBPI from MN
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
ptrefam

Post by ptrefam »

We are in Neenah. The hospital Social worker suggested the DVR. She thought they have money for education. We filled out the application and am waiting to hear back for an appt. Anyone receiving SSI is eligible for their help. Hope we're headed in the right direction. Dustin's injury was due to traumatic accident. He also had brain injury which had greatly improved but his walking and memory are affected.
Sue
njbirk

Post by njbirk »

Anyone with a qualifying injury is eligible for 'retraining' or 'education' from DVR. It is not based on income.

I know it was a LONG time ago, but I received full tuition and all fees to any state school for all 4 years of my undergraduate degree from DVR. So it is definitely worth pursuing.

This is a federal program administered by each state.

Nancy Birk
UBPN President
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

I received my BA degree through DVR in my State of Washington; also it was some time ago. I was a Social Worker/Caseworker for 17 yrs. total [took time out to raise my son]
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
"Retired" in 1997
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI