karate

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
admin
Site Admin

karate

Post by admin »

My James, age 7, went to a small karate class last pm. The instructor was very kind, and had him do as many things as he was able. He has severe robpi, so has very limited use of his arm and hand. Have any of your guys and gals tried karate? If so, how are they doing? By the way, He LOVED IT!!!

Tammie
m&mmom

Re: karate

Post by m&mmom »

Matthew is starting in September, he can't wait.
Mandie

Post by Mandie »

My brother owns a Karate school and Sarah will be joining soon!
kissygoose

Post by kissygoose »

I've never taken karate but I took Judo as a child and Aikido as an adult. Luckily for both disciplins I had wonderful sensei who helped me find ways to work the moves or try variations for my arm.
alyssasmommy

Post by alyssasmommy »

Hi,

My daughter goes to Taekwondo - we just started this past February and she loves it! Her therapist and doctor both feel it is good for her and doing some of the movements they do - it is additional therapy!

Martial arts is a good thing - both physically and mentally :)

Jody
tylergsmom
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Hi! I am Laura, the mom of Tyler, who has a ROBPI. I've been a member of this site since 1998 and owe a great deal to the wonderful people in the UBPN community who have helped us along the way get what we needed to get done for Tyler. Tyler is now 14 years old and in the 9th grade. He's a super bright kid and loves his video games. Tyler had the mod quad surgery with Dr. Shenaq shortly before he passed. That was his first and only surgery. Now that he is older he is requesting additional surgery. He'd like to be able to supinate. Our goal is for Summer 2013.

Post by tylergsmom »

Tyler has been in Karate since August of 2005. He is now an orange belt and is advancing as fast as everyone else. He has the most patient, kind instructor and just loves Tyler. We sewed a karate patch on his affected arm to that the other kids know they can't pull or chop on that arm, but other than that, he can do nearly everything else the other kids can do.

Laura
Laura LeNoir, Mom of Tyler, Age 14, ROBPI
Nettie

Post by Nettie »

My son started karate this winter and he loves it...he is LOBPI...his form is a bit off...but the instructor is great and he is doing well.
Ann