Francine/ scar revision

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Beth

Francine/ scar revision

Post by Beth »

Francine,
Just wanted to let you know our experience with Patrick's scar revision. As you know he had his primary scar revised the same time his mod quad was done. About 2 weeks post op the revised scar started to open up and eventually there was a big hole there. We took Patrick to a plastic surgeon at CHOP and had to do wet to dry dressings 3xday on top of the mod quad stuff. It was really stressful. This went on for about 3 weeks and then they went in and surgically closed it. It looked great for about 2 weeks and then little by little started to keloid again. It isn't as big as it was but it looks pretty bad. When we saw Dr S at the picnic in October he gave me a couple of Dr's names in NJ to contact to possibly inject steroids into the keloid to try to flatten it out. So that is where we are. I guess keloids have a really good chance of coming back. I hope Maia's doesn't and you don't have to deal with any of these issues. When is she having her surgery? Let me know if you have any other questions. Beth
francine

Re: Francine/ scar revision

Post by francine »

she's having surgery on Dec 10th for capsulodesis and they are going to revise the mod quad scar that has a huge circle keloid in an area where it got infected.

The only reason we wanted to get it revised is because of Maia's eczema - it gets very itchy and patchy there and she tries to scratch this big round keloid off and we are always fighting infection because of that.

Dr. Nath said that he would inject steroids into her incision areas to try and stop it from happening again and we were also discussing the types of suturing - I was wondering if she was allergic to any of the types of suture material they were using.

Sounds complicated but whatever we're going to have to do as post op care for the new incision we'll have to do for the revision - so I thought that doing it in two areas wouldn't be too much more of a hassle...am I kidding myself?

-francine
njbirk

Post by njbirk »

I had a huge keloid scar on my shoulder from when I had surgery as a child on the bpi. I have recently had mfr scar tissue release on it and it has flattened the keloid considerably and taken away a lot of the restricting that such a scar does in inhibiting ROM. I don't know how soon after surgery this kind of release can be done, but I would think it would be a non-invasive alternative.

Nancy
francine

Post by francine »

hi nancy - you mfr addict! LOL LOL good for you!

I've been doing mfr on that scar of Maia's from 6 weeks post op. Underneath she has no restriction and great movment but the skin itself is raised, so it's just a surface issue. But the way it grew in - her nails can get caught under it and that's what's causing the problem. We also did silicone sheets, too.

-francine