Forearm Osteotomy

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
admin
Site Admin

Forearm Osteotomy

Post by admin »

Hi, My son Ryan (5yr) will have forearm ostectomy on Dec 1 by Dr Davino, Dr Nath performed the TT in May (which looks great), but now Ryan is slightly over supinated and cannot pronate will enough to use things like a keyboard (Ryan loves to play on the computer and in today's world computers are very important). Dr Nath said He might need this surgery after the TT because Ryan had good supination before surgery but was extremely internally rotation. (As you all know every BPI is different). The good news is that Dr Nath said this will be his last surgery!!! Has anybody ever had a forearm ostectomy? Or has anybody ever used Dr Davino? I would like to here your story / experience. Thanks Wayne
ksass

Re: Forearm Osteotomy

Post by ksass »

Hi, our daughter is scheduled to have the forearm surgery with Dr. Davino. Have you done the surgery. How did it go?
Did your child lose any function?
ksass@cedargrovebelgium.k12.wi.us
parent needing help
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 03/28/2000 OBPI. rc5-6 rupture, rc7-8 avulsion rt1 stretch. L humeral fx lc7 stretch

Post by parent needing help »

"we" were scheduled last year for this with Dr. Davino. Very nice man. However, he came out into the preop room, examined her and said she did not have enough funtion for this surgery to be helpful. I am assuming he meant not enogh suppination as he stated if he pronated her she would never supinate. We were told in the beginning that the osteotomy would be her last resort.

Best wishes
Christy & Katie Chapman
Beckyerin

Post by Beckyerin »

I cannot pronate enough to type 2 handed so I just type with one hand. I am actually kind of stuck in supination in my right BPI hand but I can honestly say I do not face major obtacles because of it.
Becky