My son has BPP

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
bfaithda
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My name is Bridget, my son Brayden has a LOBPI. He was born 5-14-07 and weighted 11lbs 3ozs and was 22inches long and got stuck on my pelvis coming out. All 5 nerves were involved 2 ruptured and 3 avulsed, and also had Horner's Syndrome. He had primary surgery in St. Louis with Dr. Parks when he was 3 months old. He used synthetic materials to fuse the nerves together, because the nerves in his calves were not long enough. Brayden currently does aqua therapy, PT, OT and speech therapy. He has little movement in his arm and hand, but that does not stop him from having fun and being a normal boy!!!

My son has BPP

Post by bfaithda »

Hello I am new to this board. My son was born May 14, 2007. He weighted 11lbs. 3oz. I had a very rough delivery, needless to say,due to the rough delivery my son can not move his left arm. He has a total Brachial Plexus injury. I had no clue what this was until now. After looking it up on the internet I now know what it is. He is going to have surgery on August 16th in St.Louis a 4 hour trip for us. It has been very hard for me and my husband. We have had to adapt to taking care of a new born plus his injury. If we did not have the support of our family we would go crazy. I quit my job to stay home with my son due to all the therapy we have to do now and in the future. I love my son dearly and would never trade him for the world.I just pray that one day my son will move his arm and be as normal as other kids his age.
I have been looking for a place online to talk with other parents or people who have dealt with this. I want to know there is light at the other end of this dark tunnel I feel we are in.
joseph

Re: My son has BPP

Post by joseph »

hello,
My son, Joseph was injured at birth also. He's going to be 1 on august 2nd. I know that I am just starting out on this journey but if you need to talk, I am available. Just email me. Josephobpi@yahoo.com. There is light, it's just hard to make out right now. How old is your baby?
Breonna, Joseph's mama (LOBPI)
Tanya in NY
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am Mom to Amber, injured at birth. I serve on the Board of Directors for UBPN, and am a labor/delivery nurse, too.

Post by Tanya in NY »

Welcome to the boards. I'm so sorry that you had to find us and that your son was injured and your family has sufferred.

I'm glad to hear that you already have your son in therapy. Keep doing the ROM exercises. Very important. Stabilize his scapula. Stretch his elbow. Touch his arm. Use different fabrics/textured items to touch his arm for input.

You'll find a ton of support (at least I have) on this board from those who have been in your shoes and are still walking the path. We've been at it for 4 1/2 years now and our daughter has made wonderful progress. I'm hoping your son will make progress as well.

Keep learning all you can about BPI, the latest advances, and ask questions whenever you feel the need. We're here to share. Welcome again.

Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 4 years old

PS: I see you are from KY...my mom lives in Louisville now and I just visited there recently. Are you nearby there?
Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 13 years old
bfaithda
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My name is Bridget, my son Brayden has a LOBPI. He was born 5-14-07 and weighted 11lbs 3ozs and was 22inches long and got stuck on my pelvis coming out. All 5 nerves were involved 2 ruptured and 3 avulsed, and also had Horner's Syndrome. He had primary surgery in St. Louis with Dr. Parks when he was 3 months old. He used synthetic materials to fuse the nerves together, because the nerves in his calves were not long enough. Brayden currently does aqua therapy, PT, OT and speech therapy. He has little movement in his arm and hand, but that does not stop him from having fun and being a normal boy!!!

Post by bfaithda »

I live in Owensboro about 2 hours to the west of Louisville. Did you daughter have to have surgery? How long did it take for her to move her arm, and how much use does she have with it?
bfaithda

Post by bfaithda »

Thank you for your support.
My son is 10 weeks old. He will just turn 3 months when he has his surgery in August.
How serious is Joseph's injury? My son,Brayden,has no movement at all in his left arm. He aslo is believed to have the Horners Syndrome his left eye is droopy and has been since birth. I do his exercises with him and everytime he sees that arm he looks at it like it is the first time he has seen it. It breaks my heart.

Bridget, Brayden's mom
Owensboro, KY
BPI 10 weeks

Message was edited by: bfaithda
joseph

Post by joseph »

Joseph didn't have any movement until about three months of age. He has some finger and wrist movement, no biceps, no ulnar muscle. He has excellent triceps. Joseph also has horners in his left eye. We saw a pediatric eye dr. and she says it's mild. He's a little far sighted and may require glasses later in life. He also had torticaulis (not spelled right) where he kept his head to one side and slightly cocked to one side. With simple neck stretches he's since recovered from that.
Breonna, joseph's mama