Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Harley02

Re: ROLL CALL ( LURKERS TOO!!!!!!! )

Post by Harley02 »

Male, TBPI left shoulder/arm/pectoral
mjq1602

Post by mjq1602 »

Hi, Mike Quinn here from Sunny Scotland!

Car crash. I was a passenger. Accident happened early hours of the morning and I was fast asleep when it happened. The car tumbled over and I fell out, thereby sustaining this injury. I was a lucky one!

The year was 1985, I was at a world cup (football/soccer) qualifying match in Wales. Davie Cooper scored a penalty with a few minutes remaining for us to qualify. In a very jubilant mood as you can imagine, making our way to the pub afterwards singing etc, then we heard the bad news, big Jock Stein (Scotland Manager) had had a heart attack! Our mood suddenly changed. Instead of celebrating in the pub everyone looked rather somber.

I'm sorry for babbling on about something that most people will have no interest in but I'm sure that everyone, no matter how long ago, will remember with clarity the day that changed their life. This is what stays with me the most, I guess it's one of lifes little ironies. Sitting in the pub afterwards I'm sat beside a big Welsh fellow. He was chatting away for a while then suddenly out the blue he takes off a prosthetic arm and puts it on the table with the hand kind off around his pint glass and says "just making sure no one takes my pint whilst I go for a pi**".

Now, as well as finding this pretty funny, I also admired this guys attitude. I also wondered what it would be like just having one arm and guessed it would be an absolute nightmare and thanked my lucky stars it wasn't me! Well 5 hours later guess what!

Well that's my story. Doesn't life have a funny way of kicking you in the Davina McColls when you least expect it. You've gotta larf.

Thats's all Folks!!!!!
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Post by jennyb »

Hi mike, thanks for adding yourself. Seems to me from the numbers Scotland is a bit over-represented in the tbpi stakes considering the size of the population.
You might be interested to know a few of us from the UK set up a tbpi message board & website over there and there are a few Scots posting there who you can have a chat to. It's at http://p098.ezboard.com/fadultswithbrac ... uriesfrm13 and as well as new injured people there are long termers like you (and me!) who just hang out for the friendship and to pass on anything we might have learned over the years, give it a look.
Cheers to all the newbies who've posted since the last number crunch, it's sad that the numbers keep growing but pretty inspirational how well everyone seems to cope. Keep on keeping on!
Jen NZ
d1sillusiond

Post by d1sillusiond »

Sean from philadelphia, PA. I have a left TBPI from a pickup truck deciding to run over my motorcycle.
dalejrfan

Post by dalejrfan »

Rhonda
USA
Multiple surgeries resulting in blood clot to
shoulder then stent placement left softball size hematoma
pressing on my nerves toda marks 2 months.
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Post by jennyb »

Time to bump this up! If you're new, please add yourself, together with how ou got your tbpi and where you are, so I can add you to the unfortunately ever growing list.
Jen NZ
lizzyb

Post by lizzyb »

WOW Nearly 40 pages long, and over 5 years old...who would have guessed it? How many people now Jen???? ;)
RD

Post by RD »

Hi, all. I'm right tbpi. incident early spring 2007, seems kinda dumb in hind-sight, but i cramped up my en-tire right shoulder by playing computer (point-and-click) games, with rt arm at full extension, unsupport-ed. (i'm elderly and wanted to view my monitor through the upper part of my bifocals.) had long-term (2 mos+) spasm of right scalenus medius, which compressed upper trunk(c5,c6)of brachial plexus. tried chiropractic early on, no release. then accu-puncturist was unable to connect to the correct channel to releave the spasm. eventually, a massage therapist was able to find a way in and relax things, by which time i had lost most rt-hand function. still hoping to re-connect the nerve, but not fully convinced it'll ever happen. quite painful, but tolerable with 400-450mg Lyrica daily. Neurontin fogged me in, slowed my thinking, making conversation slow and difficult. dosage was 600@4hr intervals = 3600mg daily. yeah, i run on a bit but try to be as concise as possible while getting it all said. Been lurkiing about 2mos, this being my first post.
Thanks for sharing your stories.
I am robert d williams, in the
Columbia River Gorge
jennyb

Post by jennyb »

there were 255 tbpi names on here when I last crunched the numbers, that was in July. If anyone wants to see the list which includes causes and locations worldwide, go back a couple of pages. I'll add them up up again soon.....
....and WELCOME to new posters, sorry you're here, glad to read your stories.
Jen NZ
trimommy

Post by trimommy »

Hi! i have posted a couple of times. i am new. i was hit by a car (van actually) while training on my bike on july 21st of 2007. i have an avulsion of c6 and damage to 5 and 7. BUT things are looking up and after visiting the top 3 places here in the us i have been scheduled for surgery at the mayo clinic on nov 30th. i am very excited and of course nervous but i know i am in good hands.
you all are a tremendous help!!!! thank you
Robin