This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
joefbs

Post by joefbs »

Hi everyone!! I can't begin to tell you all how excited I am that I came across this site. I am 27 years old and just recently found out what Brachial Plexus Palsy is. Even though I have had it all my life, no one was able to really elaborate on what had happened to me at birth. I don't think that it was fully explained to my parents.

Anyway, I am happy to have found all of you and maybe I can give some of my experiences to help someone out.......and vise versa.

Thanks,
Joe
TinaT

Re: Newbie

Post by TinaT »

WELCOME JOE...

I KNOW how excited you are...I felt that same way many years ago when I found this site as well. I'm Tina BiOBPI and 51 years young.

Even though I knew what my injury was about and understood it as much as possible (at that time)I was beyond thrilled to find other people "like myself". That was my excitement, to finally meet and talk with people who looked like me and did things the (funny) way I did things. There are so many friendly knowledgeable caring people here you will be right at home from this point forward.

Your last sentence is exactly what this place and we are all about. "giving, sharing and helping" each other.

Again, WELCOME.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

WELCOME, Joe!
You are going to find alot of support,caring and information on this message board as well as any & all message boards.

FYI, there is no such thing as a dumb question anywhere, anytime...so ask away. I do warn you that you can become over-loaded and overwhelming at times so as you read , I advise some "breaks" too.

I am LOBPI and 69 & never had a name or any information until I found this wonderful UBPN Family[that's what I call thhis site and all of the people I've come to know].
I grew up in the "dark ages" of "no talking about anything". This Site & network really, really started me on a healing path. Sharing our experiences, medical isues as we age, and sometimes our Dark sense of Humor[be prepared!] helps alot too.

Keep coming here and share. I learn so much from everyone who posts.

Carolyn J
LOBPI/over-aged like Kath ;)

Message was edited by: Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Welcom Joe

I can relate to how exciting it is to find out you have others who really understand your injury.

I always knew what was wrong and how it happened.
I just thought I was one of a rare group of injured.

When I found UBPN I was so excited and glad to have others to share with.
I was the oldest obpi to come to UBPN for quite a few years but then along came John and Carolyn and I was no longer the oldest... I bless them every day! LOL...

I found UBPN a few weeks after my 60th birthday and what a great present it was to meet up with Judy, Tina, Nancy and Mike (RIP). I was happy just to have a few people and now so many have found UBPN it amazes me! I had no idea how many children are being injured on a daily basis and was a bit shocked and angry when I discovered this injury is not so rare.

Welcome to the Club! It seems as if we are meeting more and more young adults lately and so happy you found us.

Kath robpi/adult
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

Welcome Joe! Glad you found us here! I was so excited the first time I realized that there were other people that did things the way that I did them. I was 13 though when I found UBPN, now I am 21! UBPN has been a life saver! I look forward to seeing you around the boards!
Hugs,
Amy 21 years old ROBPI from MN
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

Welcome Joe! Glad that you found us :)
Marieke, 32, LOBPI
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
joefbs

Post by joefbs »

Thank you guys for such the warm welcome. I hope to get to know all of you soon. This site is chock full of information and friendly people. Talk to you soon

-Joe
karategirl1kyu
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, had surgery when I was 9- they moved muscles and tendons from one side of my arm to the other side. I can lift my arm to about my eye level, can't straigten it all the way and can't completely supinate my wrist.

Post by karategirl1kyu »

Welcome Joe! I was excited to find the support system too!
~Mel, 20, LOBPI
~Mel/23/LOBPI
smith24s1

Post by smith24s1 »

Joe I am just like you. I just found this site today. I found out what I really had about 6months ago. Which to me is about 26 years too late. My parents were never able to give me a good explaination and my fiance (who is in med school) had a lecture one day and woke me up in the middle of the night to tell me he found out the answer I had been searching for.

I have been having pain over the past few months that is new, unexplained, and bothersome more than anything. If anyone can shed some light on this that would be great!

THanks
Carly\age 26/IA
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

WELCOME Carly to our UBPN Family! I call it a Family because since finding this web site and finding the name of our injuries at age 65, I have met wonderful people here on all Message Forums, learned alot and have met many them and with all the posts I know I am no longer alone! Parents, children and Adults we are all in this together.

BTW, there is no such thing as a dumb question on any of the Forum message Boards and everyone is welcome on any of them.

Carly, there are secondary injuries/ medical issues as we age, especially we adults who never had therapies, surgeries or any of our OBPI needs addressed by any MD's. FYI, there are Medical papers/articles about our secondary issues on the "Medical Resources For Adults with OBPI" Link on our Homepage.

Carolyn J
LOBPI/ 69+....

Message was edited by: Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI