WII

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Drake's Mom

WII

Post by Drake's Mom »

i don't know how many of you have tried this gaming system but it is GREAT!!! My son just turned 7 on May 16th (he's getting so big!) And my mother-in-law bought this for him. I am NOT a big fan of any games like sega x-box BUT the WII encourages them to get up and us every muscles they have. I told Drake he could only use his affected arm to play, except when it requires you to use both like boxing. This is great therapy. Normal therapy is getting SO boring for him and he sees no improvements so he doesn't want to do it. So this WII is a good way to get therapy while he's playing. He worked up a sweat while boxing. Just thought i would share. I didn't want to spend the $250 to buy it but now that i know how much fun he has and it helps him use his arm it is well worth it.

Teresa
crystal

Re: WII

Post by crystal »

try some of these games. Super mario galaxy, endless ocean ( jade's fav), playground, carnival games, wario ware. smooth moves, mario cart. They have min. violence. Other systems do not compare. we have the play station as well. there are only violent games for that.
Mare

Post by Mare »

Also now that summer is here try swiming lessons if they don't know how to swim. If they do swim let that be a day of therapy Frankie has to swim 50 laps in a day as part of his therapy 3x a week it gives him a break from the biofeed back machine and stretching because all this is done in the laps. Its a nice change to an otherwise tedious routine
brandonsmom

Post by brandonsmom »

I love the WII !!! My oldest son bought it for my son last year for his birthday and I will tell you, I see Brandon doing things that he has never done !!! GAYLE
mommieinneed

Post by mommieinneed »

We have the WII also and it is great. Even for us folks that are trying to lose weight boxing is a must, worked every muscle and the next day man did I feel the burn.

They have a WII fit coming out I think this month it looks pretty awesome as well.

Maggie loves it because she has very minimal use of her injured arm and she loves playing the WII because she can do all the games by herself and even beats her older sister, which cracks her up.
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

My grandchildren all have it and I've played tennis right handed on it. Boy was that fun. I've read a great deal about rehab hospitals beginning to use it for PT.
Now I know what I want Santa to bring me. :)

Kath robpi/adult
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

YES, YES, I want one too! Santa IS going to bring me one.

BTW, BOD's please add a Wii to CAMP 2009's R&R equipment. I will be happy to bring mine!. I plan to travel with it everywhere I vacation!!

HUGS all around,
Carolyn j
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Jane

Post by Jane »

Are any of you using Wii for very young kids - toddlers?..... Which games are best with the youngest ages?

Thanks. Jane
mommieinneed

Post by mommieinneed »

Maggie is six and she loves playing the wii sports, mainly bowling but she also likes baseball.

The only other game we have as of right now is HSM sing it and she loves playing that but that has nothing that helps with her arm she just loves singing.