Help please

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Help please

Post by hope16_05 »

Has anyone had compression of the ulnar nerve in their "good" arm and had a release at the elbow? I emailed my doctor this morning a bunch of questions and he now thinks that I have ulnar nerve compression. He wants me to get an EMG of my left arm and then if it is ulnar nerve compression, he would like to do a release at the elbow. Says its a simple surgery and I can move my arm right after but would not be able to lift heavy object for three weeks. Which means I cant work, I am a personal care attendant and I take care of a 2 year old.

I am having a this injury sucks really bad day! Why cant it just leave my left arm alone, it already took most of the use of my right arm away.

Any insight on whether or not an ulnar nerve release is worth it would be greatly appreciated!
Amy 21 years old ROBPI from MN
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
Beckyerin

Re: Help please

Post by Beckyerin »

Is he going to move to the nerve or place it in the muscle tissue? The procedure is called ulnar nerve transposition, they just take the nerve and move it to a different spot at the elbow or they bury the nerve a bit in the muscle. Not sure which your doc will do. From what I know of this procedure you may be asked to pevent elbow flexion but of course your case may be different. I would ask if you will have to wear an elbow flexion blocking splint. The relief people get is varied but I have seen successes!
Becky
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

Thanks Becky! When I go for my EMG I will ask him what he is thinking as far as splinting or anything like that as this is something I have to plan my life around. Its not like I can just do it and be done, I live alone right now so I will probably move home for the three weeks I cant lift anything so I can get some help. The catch is I need it done before school starts again this fall. I should be able to get the EMG in the next three weeks or so, they are usually pretty good about getting me in quickly.
Will let you know more when I know more.
Thanks again for the info!
Hugs,
Amy
Mare

Post by Mare »

Amy
That is the surgery I had the ulnar nerve was compressed. Mine was released and moved. I have a 6 in scar on the inside of my arm and was in a clam shell splint for 2 weeks then I was able to move it and went for therapy 3 time a week. I did everything just like before and yes the pain was gone no weakness nothing but I was out of work for 8 months and can't say if the surgery worked because of the transverse Myelities which started 7 weeks after the surgery (no connection doctors said) but the 1st 7 weeks were good. now both arms are numb and hurt all the time specially after work where I'm lifitng and carrying heavy stuff. My doctor tryed therapy and cortizone shots 1st then surgery. Have you talked to your chiro my sister had this problem and the chiro was able to massage it out and 3 yrs no pain. So try that 1st.
I had an EMG done and it showed the same thing in both arms they want to do my left arm now but with the TM I said no way. Let me know how your doing Mare
Judy-T
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Right arm OBPI One surgery at age 40 Ulnar nerve retransposition

Post by Judy-T »

I had medial nerve surgery on my good arm. It was successful. They had to give me the IV in my foot since they were operating on that arm. My big fear was how was I going to be able to go to the bathroom and wipe. It worked out, he did not wrap and bandage all of my arm. I would try and ask if there are any alternatives like Mare was talking about. Good luck Amy
hope16_05

Post by hope16_05 »

Thanks Mare and Judy,
I am still waiting for an appointment for the EMG. I have been taking it as easy as possible so my hanf hasnt gone numb for a while. Almost while typing a paper the other day but I stopped for a while to give it a break. Once I have the EMG I will seek out all my options. My chiro knows about it and has tried massage and while that helps a little with the pain, it does nothing for the numbness. It does feel really good to get it massaged though. I got one last night from my boyfriend. He has been really great to me with all this. I am learning to ask for help and hes reminding me that I shouldnt be doing this and that. I am not used to not being so independent, this pain in my left arm is really changing the way I do things.
I will keep you all posted when I get a date for the EMG.
Thanks for the info!
Hugs,
Amy
Mare

Post by Mare »

Amy
My EMG didn't give much info neither did the MRI the true test was the surgeon asked does your pinky and ring finger feel numb or have less feeling then the rest of the fingers he did the pin test and said it was the ulnar nerve, now its my left starting because I was trying not to work the right so hard but I'm refusing to have the other operated on since I got the transverse myelities I'm afraid of what could happen. Mare
eolson

Post by eolson »

Amy,

I'm sure you already know a great deal about what all your treatment options are. I just want to tell you that I had the worst issues with pain and numbness in college and working at the same time. My solutions were worked out with a therapist and were lifestyle and work habit changes. But then, I also had the EMG and the doctor didn't recommend any procedure (or maybe they just weren't trying what they do now...)

Other events that put me back in the injury ward were buying a house, and going to grad school. I have still avoided any surgery though.
patpxc
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: C-5 and C-6. Unable to supinate. Contracture elbow. Wrist bone underdeveloped.
Can raise forearm to mouth level. shoulder is limited in movement. Unable to put arm behind back. Secondary- early arthritis, carpal tunnel, pronator syndrome,scoliosis

Post by patpxc »

I have had ulnar nerve decompression along with a carpal tunnel . My arm is worse worse than it was before. bareful that the Dr. who does surgery is really good.