WOW!!!!!!

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
brookepoague

WOW!!!!!!

Post by brookepoague »

We took Grant to Cincinnati on Tuesday for their BPI clinic. I just knew he didn't have any bicep and that we weren't making a lot of progress. Turns out, the bicep is there but I just can't see it yet. The EMG revealed progress that we couldn't visually see!!! Praise God!!

Now it's just a matter of therapy and waiting to see what the end result is but at least now I know there's something to work with!
cassidysmom

Re: WOW!!!!!!

Post by cassidysmom »

Awesome, awesome news!!
nkjacoby
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Nicholas is 11 years old and his birth was complicated by a severe shoulder dystocia resulting in a severe LOBPI. He has had 5 surgeries to date with very little improvement. His left arm has never fully gained any functional use and has been completely flaccid until his last surgery. It now sits at a more natural position, but he is still unable to use his arm. However, his hand function was never limited until after his most recent surgery and is now completely limited due to an ulnar nerve entrapment. He is getting ready to have his 6th surgery in April to free the ulnar nerve from his last surgery. He is an amazing young man who never gives up on his dreams. He is my HERO!!!

Post by nkjacoby »

That is so awesome!!! It is always such a blessing when you can be reassured by the tests that are available. I am so happy for you and your family.
Mom to Nicholas 11 LOBPI, Dawson 7, and Kalyssa 5
momofnickelman

Post by momofnickelman »

The same thing happened to my son. One thing you can do to actually see the first movements of the biceps is get your child in a pool or tub submerge child up to chest and put hand/wrist on a floatie and watch child move it on top of the water. It makes it so much easier for the child to move it in the water because it takes away weight and the affect of gravity on arm/hand. We used a clock that was a puzzle but made of material that floats that I had found at the dollar store! Best dollar I ever spent! My son loves the water and water is great for our kids! My son is 7 1/2 and he can swim all over, even in deep end! I never thought I would see that.