Driving

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Mare

Driving

Post by Mare »

Hi Everyone
Frankie starts 10th grade this year and his 1st class is drivers ed. He doesn't get to drive till Feb but I wanted to find out what are some of the problems that you have found and how have you solved the problem and are there requirements as far as having adaptive devices on the car???? Starting to get nervous, he has driven my truck in parking lots and seems ok even though he drives with two feet and brakes HARD. Thanks Mare
CSMITH

Re: Driving

Post by CSMITH »

HI,
NOT THAT A TEENAGER NEEDS MORE RADIO TIME IN THE CAR,BUT MY HUSBAND BOUGHT ME A RADIO/CD PLAYER WITH A REMOTE CONTROL BECAUSE I COULDNT REACH THE RADIO.WE DONT HAVE THE CONTROLS ON THE STEERING WHEEL,THAT WOULD BE OKAY I THINK IT DEPENDS ON WHICH SIDE THE CONTROLS ARE ON AND WHICH SIDE YOUR INJURY IS ON.I CANT DRIVE WITH BOTH HANDS BECAUSE MY RIGHT IS TOO SHORT, SO I CAN ONLY DRIVE ONE-HANDED.I HAVE SEEN A PIECE YOU CAN ATTACH TO THE STEERING WHEEL THAT LOOKS LIKE A KNOB TOO HELP, BUT IM NOT SURE WHERE TO GET IT OR IF IT WOULD EVEN HELP.
CONNIE
Joanie

Post by Joanie »

Same as Lori, I have always used automatic transmission and power stearing. My license says that I can use a spinner knob instead of power stearing, but I don't trust those things. My father had one once, before I was a driver, and what I saw was that it always got in his way.

Joanie
Mare

Post by Mare »

What about turning on your blinkers most are on the left and frankie is lbpi non functional
Mare
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Mare,
My blinkers are on the left to but it is safe and easy for my right hand to reach thru the steering wheel to turn on the blinker. Right hands can reach pretty far around the steering wheel area. I drive only automatics & power steering/brakes. Shift gears always on my Right. I've never had trouble changing from 1 car to another either. BPI-ers find a way! Please stop worrying about the smal stuff,Frankie wil find a comfortable way too! :)

HUgs to you both,
Gramma Carolyn J
LOBPI
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Charlie O
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: ROBPI resulting from a birth injury. Limited motion at the shoulder, elbow, and wrist. No pain or surgeries.

Post by Charlie O »

There's something called a Smartstik Hand Control that adapts the left hand controls on the steering column for right hand use.

Abledata.com has more info.

Am not sure about cost or requirements. I'm RBPI, so I have to use my left hand to do most things, like turn the key. I didn't even bother trying to get a license until I was in my late 30s, and I regret waiting so long. There are always ways to adapt. I use my left hand to change radio stations or put in a new CD. I just wait till I'm at a stop light. Automatic shifts I can handle, but since shifts are all on the right, these shouldn't be a problem.

Message was edited by: Charlie O

Message was edited by: Charlie O
If daydreaming were criminalized, I’d be a lifer.
Mare

Post by Mare »

Thanks Everyone this has helped alot
Mare
patpxc
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: C-5 and C-6. Unable to supinate. Contracture elbow. Wrist bone underdeveloped.
Can raise forearm to mouth level. shoulder is limited in movement. Unable to put arm behind back. Secondary- early arthritis, carpal tunnel, pronator syndrome,scoliosis

Post by patpxc »

I have a mini cooper and it has a push button start. I really like that. automatic seat adjusters help a lot too. I was told spinners were dangerous, so opted for a small steering wheel that is easier to handle.
Pat
PuppetPeople

Post by PuppetPeople »

Hi,
I am ROBPI and earned my license when I was 16, now in my 40's. The thing I had trouble with was gripping the steering wheel the correct way. Always have had power steering/brakes, tried stick shift once and it made horrible sounds, LOL. All my life I had some use of my right arm, but quite limited. I had surgery May of 2007 and lost the use of my shoulder all together, surgery was only the 6th of it's kind ever preformed at Mayo in MN. So, I had to learn to adapt to things differently then before.
I have worked with the DVR, Dept. of Vocational Rehap. and they are having some adaptions made to my van. They are going to make something so I can reach the heat/air controls and the radio with my left hand so I don't have to reach across the steering wheel, which could be dangerous. The guy is even going to try to make a cup holder on the left side for me. I start the van and shift with my left hand now also.
We have a teacher at the High School that works with students with disabilities and they should be able to help you get in touch with the DVR. My daughter has a Learning Disability and they are able to help her also.
Good Luck.
Karen
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Hi Mare,

I learned to drive two years ago and I am LBPI. I learned to drive with the knob and I really hated it. So after a month or so I took it off and just drive with the regular steering wheel. My car is also an automatic but I am learning to drive stick as I've always wanted to learn to drive stick shift. I never really wanted to have to settle for anything and I feel that bpi shouldn't prevent you from doing anything. But when I was looking at cars I know that Ford has very helpful devices such as voice activation which enables your signals and things like that which they can put on the car to help bpi and they also have deductions which help but I ended up getting a Nissan. Also I dont know what state laws are like where you live but in Florida bpi patients are eligible for reserved parking tags so that might be something you can look into.

P.S.: Regarding the braking hard, as he is just learning to drive he'll learn soon to brake regularly.

Message was edited by: Kristen