patents who have had a c7 nerve transfare please i need urgent reply

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
joy donohoe

patents who have had a c7 nerve transfare please i need urgent reply

Post by joy donohoe »

hi all i need information from any one who has had a c7 nerve transfare,as my son has been offered this procedure
i need to know what the benifits are does it regenerate muscle to the arm,time is not on our side so please write back as soon as possible
thanking you.

joy
carron

Re: patents who have had a c7 nerve transfare please i need urgent reply

Post by carron »

My son Thomas had nerve graft of c5,6,7.
joy donohoe

Post by joy donohoe »

hi carron, thank you for replying to me
you mentioned your son had c567 transfare donecan you tell me how long ago it was also was it of any benifit
joy
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

Don't forget it will be different, as Joy your son is TBPI and it has been a number of years (6 I think you said) since he had his accident. And Carron's son was injured at birth (if I am not mistaken) and would have had the surgery as a baby...
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Post by F-Litz »

C5-6-7 nerve graft is a whole diffent thing than a C-7 transfer... from how I understand it, they take C7 nerve from the unaffected arm and pull it through the chest and connect it on the affected side.
joy donohoe

Post by joy donohoe »

hi marieke,thank you fpr your reply yes it is about 6 and a half years ago since mark was dianosed,but as mark did not have any accident of any kind say it is viral we realy dont know what to do for the best as here in ireland they want to do a muscle transfare and cant do any thing about the nerves and in texas they want to do a c7 nerve transfare and no mention of a muscle transfare.so what do we do.

joy
Greatful

Post by Greatful »

Joy my daughter has had the surgery but she was 6 months old at the time. She is almost two yrs old and is doing alot better due to the surgery.
Paula

Post by Paula »

a c-7 cross transfer? I know of 1 and she is doing great. Very risky surgery though
joy donohoe

Post by joy donohoe »

hi paula thank you for that,need as much info as possible.

joy
joy donohoe

Post by joy donohoe »

great to here your daughter is doing well gives me hope.
thanks again

joy