nickname given by others

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Mare

nickname given by others

Post by Mare »

I'm not sure how I should feel about this since it doesn't bother Frankie. Heres what happened I went yesterday to get an oil change at the place frankie has worked for a year now. All the mechinic are young and really like Frankie and have the same interests, muscle cars and paintball and they are amazed how he can do so much one handed. Now let me start with the fact that there are 3 Frankies working there and they all abuse each other verbally and my son is right in there with the name calling and practical jokes. Well the one mechinic called out lefty's mom is here for an oil change. How should I feel if at all about this nickname. Mare
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Re: nickname given by others

Post by Carolyn J »

I know, I know Moms hurt when name caling is going on... but #1 there are 3 Frankies there; #2 it's more important how Frankie feels about being caled "lefty";
#3 did you ask Frankie what the other 2 Frankies are called? ( it may help you fel better about "lefty")

Also, "atitudes and atmosphere of acceptance" seem more important too. that's my "2 Cents" on this.

Hugs to you both,
Carolyn J
ps... how are you doing health-wise?
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

If it doesn't bother him it is fine. It's not what you think (sorry, speaking as an OBPI), but what he thinks. I know it hurts your feelings too, being his mom, but really, it's how it affects him as he is the one they are name calling/nicknamed him.

I agree with Carolyn, find out what he thinks and what he calls the other 2, you may be surprised!!

I was named called by unwanted "friends" and had nicknames from friends. These are two different things. The nickname never bothered me, only one did and I spoke up and it stopped. It was not meant to hurt me, but it did and I said so and so it stopped. I was 18 at the time too.

Talk to Frankie and get his thoughts :)
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
CSMITH

Post by CSMITH »

I KNOW IT IS NOT RIGHT FOR PEOPLE TO CALL NAMES,BUT I AGREE WITH THE OTHERS IT MAY JUST BE A FRIEND NICKNAME AND NOT A BULLY BEING MEAN.ATLEAST IT ISN'T HIS DAD CALLING HIM NAMES.MINE CALLED ME NAMES.WHEN I DIDNT DO MY THERAPY WHEN I WAS A CHILD.THAT WILL HAUNT YOU TILL THE DAY YOU LEAVE THIS WONDERFUL WORLD.AND IF YOU TRY AS AN ADULT TO TELL HOW YOU HAVE FELT FOR HIM DOING THAT,"IT NEVER HAPPENED".I AM NOW ALMOST 40 AND ROBPI,I THINK THAT HURTS WORSE THAN A BULLY OR AN AQUAINTENCE CALLING A NAME.SORRY FOR GOING ON AND ON JUST HAD TO VENT A LITTLE:)
Mare

Post by Mare »

The one other Frankie is called Dumb A-- so I guess lefty is better Thanks Everyone Mare
eolson

Post by eolson »

Through junior high I was nicknamed "Aebleskiver", and I wasn't even bald.
smith727

Post by smith727 »

I have been called to date:
Handiman, T-Rex, Chicken wing, Short Arm and Nemo... Lefty sounds pretty good to me.

BTW: "You know how to get Chicken Wing to fall out of a tree?"

Answer: Wave at him!

(That little zinger made the rounds for a while.) It seems like it's something that comes with the territory. I'd say Lefty isn't bad at all.
Mitch90

Post by Mitch90 »

i used to always get one arm... But i played baseball better than most people you just gotta show them up and you'll get respect. I also had some other names but i forgot them
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Post by F-Litz »

They used to call me "bubbles" or "Friday" when I was a kid. My husband started calling me "franny banani"
and Maia calls me "MEAN MOMMY".

Any of that is way better than FATSO MATSO and actually I'm still friends with the guy who called me that - after 40 years, too!