Hi All, Newbie to forums here!

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Charlie O
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: ROBPI resulting from a birth injury. Limited motion at the shoulder, elbow, and wrist. No pain or surgeries.

Re: Hi All, Newbie to forums here!

Post by Charlie O »

Welcome to the forums. I don't check in as often as I should but can't leave a hello message with zero responses. Anyway, there are alot of cool people here, all eager to compare notes and answer questions.

As for me, I'm RBPI, also highly functional, tho some things are harder than others. That is, I can't drive a stick shift but can change my daughter's diapers.

Cheers.
If daydreaming were criminalized, I’d be a lifer.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Heyyy,Concentrate
Please come here more often! I learn from everyone.

Carolyn J
LOBPI/70-sometimes adult ;)
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

Post by Carolyn J »

Jennifer,
It's even better when you meet in person. There wil be a UBPN Family CAMP 2010 somewhere. Start Saving! We have fun too. I refer you to the Camp 2005, & 2007 Forums when you have time to read...one can loose track of time, so i warn you. ;)
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Welcome Jennifer
I'm glad to see you posting. I never realized how nice it would to be to meet and talk to others with obpi until I found UBPN 10 years ago!

We share so many common issues and most of us are pretty tough because nothing held us back.

Since you mentioned children I thought I would tell you I have three children.My first two are 14 months apart and needed to be held sometimes at the same time. I sat on the floor a lot to play with them and managed just fine. It was tough I won't lie but then again anyone with kids 14 months apart will tell you that keeps you busy. Don't worry about it too much you will be able to do it when the time comes.

Kath robpi/adult
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Carolyn J

Post by Carolyn J »

Jennifer,
Camp has goten realy big in attendance. I sugest you email Kim@ubpn.org & ask for back copies of UBPN's Magazine OUTREACH for Camps 2003, 2005,2007. 05 & 07 were really big. there wer many adults with OBPI's there too!
A LIFECHANGING EXPERIENCE!!

Carolyn J
LOBPI/70
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
emma

Post by emma »

Hi i have just found this site by accident and glad i did.I have got 80% use of my arm now after 5 operations on it but still can't lift it,turn it or straighten it.Over the last 33 years i have learnt to do everything in my own little way i drive automatic,i lift down items high up using my head but as i get older am finding i get alot more frustrated with my arm and on occassions embarrassed.