pain control

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
hagens1

pain control

Post by hagens1 »

I have been dealing with severe pain in my bpi arm, the doctor i go to does not want to touch it because of past surgeries on it. they moved muscles to allow me more use of it, What works best for pain control
hagens1
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Re: pain control

Post by marieke »

Various meds exist for Nerve pain (neuropathic pain)

Neurontin (gabapentin)
Lyrica (pregabalin)
Any LOW dose tricyclic antidepressants (Nortryptaline like Aventyl for example)

As well, TENS, Accupuncture (if you can stand it)

Marieke 33, LOBPI and Spinal Cord Injury since 2004.
Been on both Neurontin then now Lyrica. Lyrica works better for me with less side effects.
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
Beckyerin

Post by Beckyerin »

heat
ice
deep tissue massage.
stretching
physical therapy
Chiropractor

I have tried all these things and found relief. What I like best is deep tissue massage but I know that many people cannot afford that. I would use heat first and then try to stretch your muscles as much as you comfortably can. Try not to do activities that agrivate your arm as much as possible.
Becky
alurivinay

Post by alurivinay »

Hi,
Can someone please let me know how lyrica works? I have thae medicine with me.
marieke
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

They don't really know "how" it works for nerve pain, only that is does.

Take it as prescribed by your doctor and see if it helps you.

Marieke 33 LOBPI
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
alurivinay

Post by alurivinay »

Thank you. i will start using that. How time will it usually take to show some effect
marieke

Post by marieke »

depends on how much pain you have and the starting dose of the med. BUT you should see a change that same day.
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI