What jobs/professions do you/have you done

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

What jobs/professions do you/have you done

Post by marieke »

This is a question Tom (master diver) has asked. I thought I would start a thread for it. I figure many of us have had BOTH jobs and professions

Jobs I have had:

-Mother's helper/babysitter for ages 2 months and up.
-Worked at a University sports Canteen serving food (fast food stand).
-Worked at a public library as a desk clerk and processing page.
-Figure skating coach/Choreographer for ages 4+

Professions:

-Physical Therapist
-Early Childhood Educator (ages 3-5) for both "regular" and Special Needs kids.
-Research Assistant for TB-QFT study in children
-Registered Nurse

Marieke 33, LOBPI

Message was edited by: marieke
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Re: What jobs/professions do you/have you done

Post by Carolyn J »

I wantedto be a Librarian but back in the "dark ages of the 50's & 60's I was told I couldn't carry a stack of books!! ha ha! I ended up working as a Caseworker in many different institutions and agencies for 17 yrs and worked at 200% to prove I was just as good as everyone one else--of course I over-used myself on good side-- and wore the 4" shoes to be fashionable and completly ruined my feet and am suffering for it now!

I had absolutely no help when I had my son 38 years ago and was socially isolated in an alcohol marriage so I had to figure out everything how to do things by myself. After Scott was born it took me 5 more years to get strong and committed to finding a way out and free with my son...then I had to tackle the Special Education system in 2 states and Washington DC. I was always sterotyped, talked over and never listened to so I learned to be an expert at playing the "word games" (everywhere was different) to get want I wanted for my son...convinced that "Labels" would not follow him in the real work world after HS. I have been proved right and Scott is a very productive employee of the State of Washington DSHS and is changing attitudes everywhere HE goes. He is much braver than I ever was! He doesn't hide like I did, he tells it like it is and won't take nothin' from nobody.

Now days with the ADA Act and funding for edcation thru D/BVR everyone can do anthing you want! :)
Carolyn J
LOBPI/70

Message was edited by: Carolyn J

Message was edited by: Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Chrissie

Post by Chrissie »

I think it's a great idea to discuss the jobs and professions we have had as this demonstrates the variety of things we can do. I realise that people's injuries vary in severity and impact, and that our backgrounds, job interests, etc. are diverse.

While I was at school I worked in shops on saturdays, and I particularly enjoyed working in a book shop.

My first full-time job after school was as a flight planner in London, but it was short-lived and just a bit too complex. I worked in admin in a bank, and in other organisations in London and then moved into admin locally at a couple of public sector bodies for around 11 years. The turning point for me came when my employer announced a move to offices 25 miles away. It's ironic that I've travelled so much further since that time.

My colleagues at work had been very supportive and at the age of 31 I applied to university. I began to wonder what I'd done when I arrived there among the 18 year olds, but persevered for three years and it has changed my life - not always for the better (but that's another story). I have worked in social research for around 15 years and have had to produce reports, etc. It has often been difficult and painful to use the PC with my LOBPI. But I can recall learning to use a typewriter - not very well - and I'm thankful technology has evolved. I have found a PC keyboard to be much friendlier than pressing down on typewriter keys. It may have exercised my left hand and arm but took a few days to recover afterwards. I generally type with my right hand but am gradually trying to use more keys with my left - I can rest the side of my hand and it makes it easier.

After taking some time out for elder care, at the age of 55 I'm in the middle of a communications course, which I hope will open up a whole new area for me.

When I was younger I wanted to be a hairdresser and I still wonder how different my life might have been.

Chrissie
smith727

Post by smith727 »

1982-1988:
A horse trainer (Tennessee Walking Horses)

1988-1990:
Clerk in a United Dairy Farmers, also pizza delivery driver.

1990-1991
Security guard

1991-1994
Prison guard and Special Deputy Sheriff

1994-2005
Prison guard and Township Police Officer

2005-present:
Police Sergeant
janny

Post by janny »

Currently i am a housekeeper in a hotel, a kitchen porter and a bingo worker.
cdmurfee

Post by cdmurfee »

Past:

Free sample distributer
Mail Clerk
various Random labor jobs
Music Librarian
Music teacher

Current:

Freelance trombone player and private music tudor
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

Thanks Marieke, From Tom, My best Wish Here is say to a new born with erbs. Here things you might try? This will help to for there parents to see there is a life with erbs? I am 56 with erbs at brith, part 2.This is for the person who got erbs laterin life. You might see something you would like to try with erbs, Just a thought??

Padi Master Diver Tom
patpxc
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: C-5 and C-6. Unable to supinate. Contracture elbow. Wrist bone underdeveloped.
Can raise forearm to mouth level. shoulder is limited in movement. Unable to put arm behind back. Secondary- early arthritis, carpal tunnel, pronator syndrome,scoliosis

Post by patpxc »

Nurses aide
Nurse
Booking officer at county jail
VP Sales for health care consulting
Nurse consultant
Clinical Systems administrator
Director of an assisted living
Hostess in a restaurant
software trainer
project manager
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

This is a great question.

File clerk
Sales clerk on the hardware counter in variety store.
Baby sitting all through high school

Senior clerk typist billing.
Secretary/Assistant to Purchasing Agent
Bookkeeper, Payroll

Mother of three children
Assembled Printed Circuit boards at night.

Computer operator for special programs starting in the early 1980's
Payroll and Girl Friday/Secretary

I have been a huge volunteer all of my life.
PTA President, Fundraising, Council Delegate and Membership. Scholarship and Nominating committee's.
Neighborhood organizer for Girl Scouts.
Taught religion in after-school program for 16 years.

Last but not least and the most valuable, to me personally, was serving on the Board of Directors of United Brachial Plexus Network for approx 8 years.

Recording Secretary
In Touch Chairperson.
This was probably the most rewarding of all my jobs...
While it was an unpaid position the rewards in the way of education and insight into my own injury was/is worth more than money.

Kath robpi/69
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Chris88
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI C5 to C7
No operations to this point.

Post by Chris88 »

During high school I worked part time in the grill of a fast food restaurant.

Worked in the sporting goods department of a large retail store. I stocked shelves, ran the register and sold hunting and fishing license.

Hunting guide for deer and quail hunts on a hunting preserve. I also trained dogs that were used for the bird hunts.

Land surveyor / Instrument Man

Went back to college and finished up biology degree.

Biologist for an environmental consulting firm. Relocated gopher tortoise off of pipeline right of ways that were being expanded. Also worked on threatened and endangered species surveys and with wetland survey crews.

Currently work for mosquito control. I’m out in the field about half the time and in the office at a computer most of the other half. Plus some time in the lab identifying samples. While in the field I check floodwater for mosquito larvae and collect samples that are taken back to the lab and identified to species using a microscope. Also fly as an observer in a twin engine airplane that is used for adulticiding. I help the pilot spot obstacles like cell phone towers, guy-wires, birds and other low flying aircraft.
Last edited by Chris88 on Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Success is peace of mind, which is a direct result of self satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to do the best of which you are capable."
Coach John Wooden