Osteoporosis

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Re: Osteoporosis

Post by Carolyn J »

Pat,
YOU ARE NOT SELFISH, YOU ARE SMART! You deserve some quality of life, girl. Reserve your energy now for the battle to get Disability. If I were you, I'd print out everything you can from this message Board others have posted that applies to you and attach them ALL to your application.

You've been working 14 hrs a day for how long and over-using?? You are lucky to have any use left in your limbs!
Please keep us updated.

LOTSA HUGS,
Carolyn J

Message was edited by: Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
patpxc
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: C-5 and C-6. Unable to supinate. Contracture elbow. Wrist bone underdeveloped.
Can raise forearm to mouth level. shoulder is limited in movement. Unable to put arm behind back. Secondary- early arthritis, carpal tunnel, pronator syndrome,scoliosis

Post by patpxc »

I qualified and collected social security disability about 4 years ago for over a year. The listing of impairments states limitations in BOTH upper extermities. I have the Erbs and arthritis in the right are, severe advanced with ankylosed joints, severe deformities in the left hand. The first time I made sure I included the listing along with the Dr. report. I also had the doc document along the guidelines . I go approved in 3 weeks.
I am hoping I won't be turned down again.
I went off because--of course I felt better. Nt SSA is saying well--how did you manage to work the last 4 years? I explained that my condition has continued to deteriorate and that I am now at the point that I just can't do it anymore.
It's just so acary to give up a paycheck and health insurance that covers everything.
I also feel like I should still be working--just because my mind is still active.Being on disability made me feel like I wasn't oding my part in the work force or something--- I can't explain it. I needed the time to come to the realization that I truly do have a disability and I have it through no fault of my own.I think it comes back to the " I can do anything you can do" that most of us that have OBPI have had through most of our lives.
All I know is that I am feeling a tremedous amount of guilt and family pressure to continue working.
Thanks for listening
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Yes, Pat, you've put you finger right on those 2 "enemies" that have worn you down over time. You havedone your part of Taxpaying etc. and now you know that your own health has to come 1st now or you may loose your independence and you don't want that. Also you have earned every penny you will get on Disability. If you still feel guilt I highly recommend counseling and doing some volunteer work to fill that need to be "doing something". Where in Ohio are you? Are you anywhere near Cleveland's Children Hospital?? What a comfort you could be just talking to parents of special needs children.... or help out in Ronald McDonald's House(do they have one?)

HUGS,
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Judy-T
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Right arm OBPI One surgery at age 40 Ulnar nerve retransposition

Post by Judy-T »

I went for another DEXA scan over a month ago and just got back my results. My osteoporosis has gotten a lot worse. They are now sending me to a rhuemotologist(sp)
I feel like I am falling apart.
Judy
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

SLOW DOWN? I have Never hear what you guys are talking about. Last Time I saw a doctor was about 14.. In the 60s. I do know a lot of truck driver who get hip and knee replacement. Diving a 18 wheeler will beat you up over time!! Can you get hip replacement TOO? I have no clue????

Master diver Tom