Seat Belts

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Kelly17

Seat Belts

Post by Kelly17 »

I am a 23 year old female with LOBPI. I don't know much about it because my doctors and parents don't really have any information and I've always had the thought that that my arm was injured so I just have to deal with it. I did not know there were other people out there who were sharing their struggles and joys. I recently found this site and have spent so many hour reading the message boards already. I have been so encouraged.

Like everyone else with BPI I have learned to adapt to everything from tying my shoes to learning how to drive. I have found that wearing the seatbelt strap across my injured shoulder restricts the movement of my arm to the point that I cannot easily reach the wheel. Because of this I wear my seatbelt strap under my arm but still across my chest. A couple of week ago I got pulled over and received a ticket for not wearing my seatbelt even though I was wearing it under my arm.

I am very supportive of seatbelt usage but I feel unsafe when I wear my seatbelt over my shoulder. I am going to court on Friday to fight the ticket. I would love any suggestions or support you have. Thank you so much for all this group does.

Kelly
Master DIVER TOM

Re: Seat Belts

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

You bet go to court, You did buckel up! Ware does it say any thing about placement of stap ?? You will all ways fell Better by standing up for things you find inportant to YOU in life!! (no regets)Thats My oppion.

Master Diver Tom
Chrissie

Post by Chrissie »

Hi Kelly,

This is a really interesting issue. I'm lucky that here in the UK the seat belt comes across my right shoulder and therefore doesn't restrict my LOBPI. I'm aware that concessions have been made in the past for women who are heavily pregnant and I'm assuming that there may be reasonable adjustment issues for people with certain disabilities. This difficulty must have cropped up before and I'm sure you're in the right place to get some advice.

Best wishes to you. Chrissie
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

The best shot to me is give it a shot. If i Am hearing this right the police would of seen your buckle belt when they apporch you! The point to the officer was on your approach deed you observe the drivers selt belt BUCKLED?? Then the only issue would be maybe The strap then is the issue? REMBER I am a retire semi driver and not a lawyer or Perry Mason. I have always been a louse cannon on deck. That Me

PADI MASTER DIVER TOM
Mare

Post by Mare »

I'm curious did you explain your bpi and the situation? In NJ it is considered not buckled if you wear it like that and you will get a ticket but there are plastic clips that attach to the belt so that it is placed differently on your body. Mine problem not bpi just short goes right across my throat so I do put it like you under my arm I'm afraid of hanging myself if I stop short the clips pull the belt down away from my neck. I don't know what they are called but can be found at walmart auto section. Good luck in court I hope you win
Mare