Info wanted

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
angelsmom1

Info wanted

Post by angelsmom1 »

Our daughter is in frist grade had a few questions.
1.Can / should or do they grade BP kids on handwriting skills? Angel is right handed but that is her BP arm also.
2. How top handle gym teacher/ and other students always pulling on childs arm? talking is not working
3. How to handle/ talk better to our daughter when she is made fun of ?(eacher doesn't reslly do anything)
DOn't get me wrong we have a great school but this year haveing alot of no listening from new teachers, and can't seem to get a IEP meeting keep getting told it is not till the end of the school year. what since does that make school would be over and that will not help for this school year.
Anyway and thoughts on anything above, please post or email me melanie_doss@yahoo.com
Thanks a bunch
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Re: Info wanted

Post by F-Litz »

all of this stuff is covered with the IEP...
I think you need to go to the principal because your daughter has needs NOW.
they need to be educated about what your daughter can and cannot do - so that her grading reflects it
(example, no points off for bad handwriting)
and she needs services - OT for the fine motor, PT for the gym, etc., etc.
She has rights and all this should be available for her now.
You'll need to be very assertive and stomp on their heads. :twisted:
good luck - be strong!
-francine :D
icesideprophet
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: OBPI

Post by icesideprophet »

angelsmom1 wrote: 3. How to handle/ talk better to our daughter when she is made fun of ?
I would say to just be there for her. If she is ever upset about how the other kids treat her just remind her about all the things that make her special. I know when other kids picked on me the last thing I wanted to do was talk about it with my mom but now I know it helped. Hopefully she will find a good group of friends as she gets older, if she hasn't already, because their support will help the most at school.
Just let her know she's not alone.

Jackie
20, ROPBI
angelsmom1

Post by angelsmom1 »

Ya we have an IEP and just talked with the Princal he is seting up a meeting, hopfully this works.
all the stuff i wrote was covered in Angel's Iep but getting them to follow it is hard pressed.
the whole name thing dosen't bother as much as when the teacher tells her to suck it up, that seems to hurt her more. If it wasn't more than 1/2 way though the school year i'd change her class, that and her 3 best frinds are in her class...sigh Thanks :0)
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

Her teacher told her to "suck it up"? OMG! That is awful, beyond awful actually. The principal should know about that as well, and the teacher really needs talking to!
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com