golfing with BPI

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
liv's mom
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: daughter with ROBPI

golfing with BPI

Post by liv's mom »

My teen wants to join the highschool golf team and I'm totally clueless about golf, she is so excited and before we get farther into this I'm looking for some insight into golfing with a RBPI. She loves playing basketball but has never wanted to join a team, she swims and dives so gracefully but is self-conscious of her form so no team there.

I would so appreciate some advice or just tips to think about regarding golfing with a BPI. I will speak with the golf coach about my daughters injury (I'm big on educating anyone who touches her life) and I want to be somewhat educated about this game. To me golf seems to use alot of the arm/shoulder and just that fact makes me nervous, maybe I'm overthinking this.

Thanks so much for any input
karategirl1kyu
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, had surgery when I was 9- they moved muscles and tendons from one side of my arm to the other side. I can lift my arm to about my eye level, can't straigten it all the way and can't completely supinate my wrist.

Re: golfing with BPI

Post by karategirl1kyu »

maybe if she swings lefty there wont be so much strain on the right... then again i dont know which is the more focused arm, the one pulling up or the one pushing out... im sorry if im not being helpful, but i definitely believe in trying anything and everything and not letting the injury stop her!! best of luck!!
~Mel/23/LOBPI
Dan
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Injured 5/11/86, had just turned 18 yrs old
Evulsed C5-T1
Intercostal into Bicep 10/86

Post by Dan »

liv's mom wrote:My teen wants to join the highschool golf team and I'm totally clueless about golf, she is so excited and before we get farther into this I'm looking for some insight into golfing with a RBPI. She loves playing basketball but has never wanted to join a team, she swims and dives so gracefully but is self-conscious of her form so no team there.

I would so appreciate some advice or just tips to think about regarding golfing with a BPI. I will speak with the golf coach about my daughters injury (I'm big on educating anyone who touches her life) and I want to be somewhat educated about this game. To me golf seems to use alot of the arm/shoulder and just that fact makes me nervous, maybe I'm overthinking this.

Thanks so much for any input
Hi,

I normally don't check this section, I usually stay in the tramatic section, but there is always a reason and your post was the reason today. I have had my injury for over 24 years and was hurt at 18, few weeks before I graduated HS. I was on the varsity golf team all four years in HS and was going to play college till I got hurt. Golf was the first sport I started playing again and have been playing since a month after the accident. I play with a gentleman who plays in the annual one arm tournament in Europe, top one armed players in the world play in this event and he has placed second a few times. So not only do I have my own experience, I also have the experience of one of the best one armed players there is. Just so you know, I got down to a 14 handicap and my friend is a 7 handicap and we hit the ball about the same, he just plays all the time and I am busy raising my family and running my business. He keeps telling me I need to go to the tournament, I will someday, maybe when my children are older.

With that being said, I would be happy to talk with you on the phone about the best way to get her into the game. My number is 818-636-8109.

But I will offer a few general comments for others if they are interested as well.

First is which way you play the game, backhanded or forehanded? Backhanded would be someone who has their left arm as their good arm and they play with "right handed clubs" Forehanded would be someone who has their right arm as their good arm and they play with "right handed clubs" I play the game forhanded, right arm, right handed clubs. I did try to play back handed, but it was almost starting over for me as I had played all my life right handed with both arms. The best one armed player now plays backhanded, he is a young guy, amazing athlete and he plays all the time, I think he is about a 3 handicap, but he might be a little better. Before he came along the best was a forehanded guy. What I am saying is it doesn't really matter which way you play, it is a personal preferrence, what feels, looks the best to each person.

The next point is something I stongly believe, the golf ball doesn't know that only one arm is holding the club that just hit it.........you might have to think about that for a moment. So the application of that is there is a correct swing path for the club, you need to get the club on that path. When I go to my pro for a lesson, he teaches me the same as all his other students, works with me to get my club on the correct swing path. I don't believe there is a one arm swing or a two arm swing, there is a golf swing and you need to work on that.

As far as equipment, I do like everyone else, I get my swing analized and then get the right clubs and more importantly shafts for my specific swing characteristics.

Remember, this is a hard game and it take tons of practice no matter who is trying to learn.

Hope this helps,
Dan
marleneross
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Lindsey - ROBPI - 12/15/2009

Post by marleneross »

I belive I recall Karen saying something about her son play's golf during her speach at the UBPN 5K - She might be a good resource.
RobertRacer
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 9/23/07 - LTBPI / Motorcycle collision

Post by RobertRacer »

My injured arm is my left and I am right handed and play with right handed clubs. I dont try to kill the ball now and have lost some distance but I think I'm better than I was pre injury. Thats not saying alot. But I bet I've taken off 4 or 5 strokes.
Robert - LTBPI/34/AL - Yamaha meets Ford Expedition....not good.
rtillm
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: son (Peyton) has traumatic ob rt arm brachiel plexus injury. He is 11 years old, has had 3 surgeries w/ Dr. Nath

Post by rtillm »

There are resources online for one handed golfers. There are several organizations out there also. Hope this helps.:)
nkjacoby
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Nicholas is 11 years old and his birth was complicated by a severe shoulder dystocia resulting in a severe LOBPI. He has had 5 surgeries to date with very little improvement. His left arm has never fully gained any functional use and has been completely flaccid until his last surgery. It now sits at a more natural position, but he is still unable to use his arm. However, his hand function was never limited until after his most recent surgery and is now completely limited due to an ulnar nerve entrapment. He is getting ready to have his 6th surgery in April to free the ulnar nerve from his last surgery. He is an amazing young man who never gives up on his dreams. He is my HERO!!!

Post by nkjacoby »

I just wanted to share my son's story. My son Nicholas is 7 years old and has a severe LOBPI. He has had four surgeries to try to correct the damaged nerves. None of the surgeries could correct Nicholas' Erb's Palsy. His arm still hangs limp and by his side. He is a phenominal golfer and has a great golf swing. We are going to start him in some private lessons very soon. When Nicholas was 3, he went with my dad to the driving range. My dad came home amazed and began telling me that Nicholas has a natural ability and talent in the perfect golf swing. I found a golf professional and also took advantage of the opportunity to educate him on Erb's Palsy. He was very open to working with Nicholas. I wish your daughter luck and would love to hear how her golf experience goes. I'm sure she will do great!!! My son Nicholas is my hero and I love helping him find ways to adapt and do things that I would never imagine he would be able to do. Good luck to you and your daughter.
Mom to Nicholas 11 LOBPI, Dawson 7, and Kalyssa 5