Lauren's 2 Month Update

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
gawilliams
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter born 8/16/10 has OBPI in the right arm....First surgery(nerve graft) done at 5 months(performed by Dr. Kozin).... four avulsions, one rupture (at the spine)..... As of 4/9/11 still no movement in arm, wrist or hand. As June 2013, bicep, elbow, shoulder function active, flexing with gravity, still no wrist or hand/finger function.

Lauren's 2 Month Update

Post by gawilliams »

Its been two months since Lauren's Nerve Exploratory/Graft Surgery. She seems to be doing well. Still, not movement in arm, hand, or wrist, but seems to be getting something in the shoulder. Its hard to say if its just the shrugging (which doesn't have anything to do with the brachial plexus) or if its something new. I know its only been two months, but of course it feels like two years. She resumed her OT three weeks after surgery, which was mid February, and will begin PT in a week. I just wanted to give an update. I can't believe she will be 8 months on the 16th. It still breaks my heart to see her arm/hand lying so helpless. I would give anything to go back to that morning in the doctors office before they sent me to he hospital for a induction to say, "i want a c-section". Well, I can't and I know I need to be grateful that she is with us today. Its just one of those "down" days. Hope everyone is doing well. Talk with you soon. :cry:
Tuckersmommy
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My son was born At Parrish Medical Center in Titusville,Fla.After becoming stuck in the birth canal A doctor(any doctor)was paged 911.Believe it or not There was NO Obgyn on staff to preform a delivery,so a midwife and one other nurse had to deliver my son.He suffered 2 torn nerves and came out lifeless...
We see Dr.Grossman In Miami along with Dr.Price.He has had a nerve transfer in 2010,A round of botox and a recasting in 2011 and now we will having another round of botox in which we pray no cast will be needed.He is a smart handsome little boy who has come so far and everyday I feel he's improving!

Re: Lauren's 2 Month Update

Post by Tuckersmommy »

I know all to well about the down days and the what ifs :cry: But I always remember how blessed I am "one...he's alive...2..he doesn't have cerebral palsy or other brain injury due to lack of oxygen at birth..we all have down days.
My son to had a nerve graft at 6 months.He had started moving his arm and wrist just before hand and after surgery it was completely limp again and I thought for sure surgery worsened it.It wasn't till about 4 to 5 months that he got back to where he was before the graft.And now he is amazing.Still having shoulder issues with tight tendons and muscles but he's able to lift his arm to about his eyes and when laying down he even lifts his arm way over his head and plays with his hair :mrgreen: This progress has taken just over a year after surgery and the Improvement happened very little at a time...hang in there ;)
Life is a dance~We will all learn it as we go
gawilliams
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter born 8/16/10 has OBPI in the right arm....First surgery(nerve graft) done at 5 months(performed by Dr. Kozin).... four avulsions, one rupture (at the spine)..... As of 4/9/11 still no movement in arm, wrist or hand. As June 2013, bicep, elbow, shoulder function active, flexing with gravity, still no wrist or hand/finger function.

Post by gawilliams »

Thats great. Lauren unfortunately didnt have any movement. She had four avulsions and one rupture right at the spine. Dr. Kozin expects 66% recovery (which is better than nothing). I guess i am just so anxious and nervous at the same time to see what progress will come of this. As far as any other problems, she hasn't showed any, which we are sooooo GRATEFUL for. Thanks again for your words of encouragement and sharing your story.
mamaofsix
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Second son, Cameron, left obstetric brachial plexus injury in 2005.
Primary never graft surgery at 3 months old at St. Louis Children's Hospital
and several rounds of Botox injections.

Post by mamaofsix »

Hang in there! We all have had those days.. I am always thankful to be able to express my down and up days with those who know exactly where I am- the bpi community. We are 3 years post nerve graft surgery and we have seen great results. We are definitely not out of the woods yet, but emotionally, it is so much better than when he was a baby.

Post, email or call whenever you feel the need to connect with questions or to just vent. You are not alone.

- hmmm..I think it's the perfect time for a video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve65rn-PJMg

Anise
bfaithda
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My name is Bridget, my son Brayden has a LOBPI. He was born 5-14-07 and weighted 11lbs 3ozs and was 22inches long and got stuck on my pelvis coming out. All 5 nerves were involved 2 ruptured and 3 avulsed, and also had Horner's Syndrome. He had primary surgery in St. Louis with Dr. Parks when he was 3 months old. He used synthetic materials to fuse the nerves together, because the nerves in his calves were not long enough. Brayden currently does aqua therapy, PT, OT and speech therapy. He has little movement in his arm and hand, but that does not stop him from having fun and being a normal boy!!!

Post by bfaithda »

Your story brings back memories of when my son was that age! He is now 3, soon to be 4 in about a month! He just had his second surgery about a month ago. His arm did the same things at that age, nothing. He had 2 ruputures, and 3 avulsions. His shoulder shrugged a little and that was it. His shoulder started slipping out of socket, and so did my mind so to say! But, now his fingers move! He can hold things under his arm and before surgery he could kind of crawl with it. His last surgery went really well and is already starting to show promising signs! My emotions are under control, meaning I am not crying everyday, just once a month!JK!

I am telling you all this to let you know there is light at the other end of the tunnel! It may seem like she never will get anything, then boom, you will see a twitch, and another, and another! It has been amazing to watch my son gain what little he has, and to see him overcome tons of obsticles! Lord knows I still get emotion at times, especialy the times of watching him sturggle(which latley are rare). He has let nothing get in his way, and I try to not let it. All you can do now is enjoy life and try not to let her injury run your life. They are only this little once so enjoy! It is also really helps having UBPN on your side! If you ever need to talk feel free to message me! Hang in there, you are not alone!

Bridget Brayden's mom
gawilliams

Post by gawilliams »

Thanks again for all of the support. Lord knows I need it. I just look at her and think how perfect she is and how things like this can happen to our little angels. I know God has something special for all of these "special" angels and they will do great things in their lives. :mrgreen: