learning to sit up

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
nameysmom
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Mom to a 13 month old baby girl who sustained a ROBPI during birth as a result of shoulder dystocia. 3 of the 5 nerves were damaged (C5 neuroma, C6 avulsion, C7 rupture) and she underwent a 13 hour nerve graft surgery in December 2010. Now, 4 months post op, she can lift her arm to almost shoulder height, is still internally rotated, has just started to flex her bicep, and can supinate to neutral. So she's pretty much back to where she was prior to surgery.

learning to sit up

Post by nameysmom »

Hi everybody,
I'm so glad to have finally found this site. I have been looking at OBPI on the internet for 13 months and somehow missed this. It's nice to know there are others out there who understand BPI. My daughter has a ROBPI which resulted from shoulder dystocia and gross mismanagement of our care during labor. She had nerve graft surgery in December 2010 and is almost back to where she was preop. She can sit, and is a fast and proficient bum-scooter, however she can't get to sitting on her own. She goes to physiotherapy and occupational therapy and they have made some suggestions, but they are not working. Does anyone have any suggestions how I can help her to learn how to sit up on her own?
greenfamily05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My daughter has a brachial plexus injury that happened at birth 6 years ago. I will never get over this.

Re: learning to sit up

Post by greenfamily05 »

You may want to purchase the Bumbo. Target and Babies'r us sells them.
Tuckersmommy
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My son was born At Parrish Medical Center in Titusville,Fla.After becoming stuck in the birth canal A doctor(any doctor)was paged 911.Believe it or not There was NO Obgyn on staff to preform a delivery,so a midwife and one other nurse had to deliver my son.He suffered 2 torn nerves and came out lifeless...
We see Dr.Grossman In Miami along with Dr.Price.He has had a nerve transfer in 2010,A round of botox and a recasting in 2011 and now we will having another round of botox in which we pray no cast will be needed.He is a smart handsome little boy who has come so far and everyday I feel he's improving!

Post by Tuckersmommy »

Agree'd...my son used one of those for just a bit and then learned quickly how to sit up on his own.Then came his "special" crawl and now...I can hardly keep up with my little runner
Life is a dance~We will all learn it as we go
nameysmom
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Mom to a 13 month old baby girl who sustained a ROBPI during birth as a result of shoulder dystocia. 3 of the 5 nerves were damaged (C5 neuroma, C6 avulsion, C7 rupture) and she underwent a 13 hour nerve graft surgery in December 2010. Now, 4 months post op, she can lift her arm to almost shoulder height, is still internally rotated, has just started to flex her bicep, and can supinate to neutral. So she's pretty much back to where she was prior to surgery.

Post by nameysmom »

Thanks for the replies and suggestions! We used a Bumbo for my daughter many months ago and they are great. She has since outgrown it, and no longer needs it as she is able to sit unsupported and can bum scoot. She's having trouble getting to a sitting position from laying down on her back or belly.
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Post by F-Litz »

what's going on with the therapists? they are not actively working with her on this? time for new therapists then!
Mica

Post by Mica »

Our daughter's injury was bilateral - her right more affected than her left - but she still had major issues with her stronger arm at your daughter's age. Aria actually learned to sit up on her own before her left arm was really strong enough or coordinated enough to help much. She would sling herself onto her side, hook one of her legs in front of her body (her leg bent in front of her, sole of foot resting on thigh of other leg) and use the strength of her legs and torso and momentum to help her get to sitting. It was one fluid motion with her torso swinging in front (kind of looked like she was trying to touch her face to the floor in front of her) before she used the momentum to swing her torso upright.

I wish to goodness I had videotaped it to show you. We worked with her for a long time before she could do this. If your daughter has the full use of one of her arms, I'm certain she could master this! Good luck! :)
marleneross
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Lindsey - ROBPI - 12/15/2009

Post by marleneross »

I recall holding down on her hip/thigh from a laying down position. Propping her arm under her and having her push her self up. This was something we actively worked with the PT on every week. As stated above if your PT is not working on this with you it is time for a new one.

Marlene