arm length

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
kimberlyzoe
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: daughter Zoe was injured at birth and is 8yrs old

arm length

Post by kimberlyzoe »

Hi. It's been a very long time since I have visited the boards, but just am needing to know about others. Zoe is now almost 9 yrs old and has almost full range. Her injured arm however does not seem to be growing. At least not like her other arm. It is quite abit shorter. Has anyone else experienced this? Any advice on what steps to take? It doesn't bother her other than her self confidence. No one teases her, thank goodness. But she is very aware of it. Thanks for any advice!

Kimberly
Mom to Zoe 8 LOBPI
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Re: arm length

Post by marieke »

Most of us OBPI's have a length discrepancy. It is due to the fact that it is not used as much and therefore the bone(s) is/are not stimulated as much to grow (that's the short/quick answer).

Mine is quite a bit shorter but it no longer bothers me. As a teen I got self-conscious about it, but as an adult I have gotten over most of that! :) I still have my moments!

There really isn't much that you can do about it though... There is a "cosmetic" type surgery that could be done later, but it's not worth the pain I think. Limb lengthening using the Ilizarov technique: http://www.limblengthening.com/aboutll.html
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
RaisingCropsandBabys

Post by RaisingCropsandBabys »

My son's is shorter as well. I always have to roll up his sleeve once or twice where on his right side, the sleeve hits the right spot on his wrist. He's only 3 and doesn't notice it and most others don't notice it either. I agree with the previous poster about the lengthening surgery not being worth it cause of the pain, but that is something my son would have to decide for himself. I know sometimes it can be encouraged when the BP arm is so much shorter than the other that it makes it really incovenient for kids to use it and they'll stop trying.
karategirl1kyu
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, had surgery when I was 9- they moved muscles and tendons from one side of my arm to the other side. I can lift my arm to about my eye level, can't straigten it all the way and can't completely supinate my wrist.

Post by karategirl1kyu »

there is also a visible difference in the length of my arms, i never was self conscious about it though... i show people, and they are interested in it... its just something that happens.. and i have accepted it...
~Mel/23/LOBPI
ironmansmom

Post by ironmansmom »

My son is 13 and his is quite a bit shorter, and his hand is significantly smaller. He doesn't seem self conscious about it...and shows people the difference in his hands and they are like...WOW!

I hope it doesn't bother him later in life, he takes it all in stride right now.