Athletic Activities you are doing!

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
bill de brooklyn
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: BP injury July 20, 1968 the result of an auto accident(c5). No surgery.

Re: Athletic Activities you are doing!

Post by bill de brooklyn »

you're entitled to your opinion but it is just your opinion not mine. I don't fish from a boat. I do not have a "helper"; don't need one. I fish because I enjoy it. I tie my own knots. I cast my rod, set the hook fight the fish and remove the hook. The mirror carp is a unique fish. The fish was not harmed and was immediately returned to the water as required by the laws of my state. I do have a BPI and as such, I find it unusual for someone who has a serious injury like we do to tell another how they should fish.

If all you can comment about after seeing my picture, is that you fish differently, so what. Like I wrote,
show me how you catch and release a big carp while it remains in the water all with one hand.

Bill
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:
-dominant side C5, C6, & C7 avulsed. C8 & T1 stretched & crushed

BPI Related Surgeries:
-2 Intercostal nerves grafted to Biceps muscle,
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.
-2 Sural nerves harvested from both Calves for nerve grafting.
-Partial Ulnar nerve grafted to Long Triceps.
-Uninjured C7 Hemi-Contralateral cross-over to Deltoid muscle.
-Wrist flexor tendon transfer to middle, ring, & pinky finger extensors.

Surgical medical facility:
Brachial Plexus Clinic at The Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
(all surgeries successful)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt

Post by Christopher »

Bill,
I love the pictures you post! And the fact that you manage it all single handedly is a damned good inspiration for us all. Thanks for sharing what you do, and for keeping the fire hot in my heart that anything is possible if you put your mind to it!

Cheers,
Chris

ps I've been wanting to let you know that for a while now, but have been lazy in doing so, so no better time than the present! ;) Thanks again!
bill de brooklyn
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: BP injury July 20, 1968 the result of an auto accident(c5). No surgery.

Thanks. Fly fishing is new for me. I started in April 2003. It is relaxing gets me to beautiful places. I think BPI can do whatever you can see yourself doing in your mind.
I met a fellow with a BPI who was using a spin reel set up to fish for salmon. He would put the rod between his legs to get it done.

Bill
djk
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: extensive right side brachial plexus injury as a result of a motorcycle accident on 8/25/10.

Post by djk »

bill,
you have been a tremendous inspiration to me via this forum during my recovery. nothing will change that fact. you love fishing. i love fishing. if some comment i made offended you, i apologize. it was not my intent. as with almost everything else people have different ways of doing things. doug
eweinstein

Post by eweinstein »

My daughter is still on a competitive dance team despite one arm not moving. She has learned to balance really well. I am so glad she did not give it up.
Attachments
Split picture.jpg
Split picture.jpg (21.83 KiB) Viewed 2989 times
jmar
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: brachial plexus stretch during thoracic outlet syndrome surgery on may 18, 2010.

Post by jmar »

WOW! this young lady is awesome! 8-)
bill de brooklyn

Double WOW!

Bill
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

Talk about JUMPING with JOY!! :D There is much to be said about Courage and a Will to try in a life time with limitations :shock: ;) :D SOME TIMES THING do work out and you can find Joy :mrgreen:
I wonder if THE RUNNING SLING might help here?? :roll: I know in my life Time :shock: I really had to balance Pain meds and being tired driving Semis :shock: Pain :shock: I even load and unloaded them basically 1 hand :o You really Do have a quest to find the next Med that might help you more with pain ;) If you can Just keep the Pain level down to TRY?? ;) :D
YOU GUYS MAKE ME Smile < BY WHAT YOU CAN DO with YOUR LIMITATION!!!!!!! < AWESOME!!! :shock: :D You Know??? :roll: I wonder :shock: How many times young teenagers TBPI- S , and Mothers with babies TBPI< or ERBS< ETC?? Like ME from The Dark Ages :shock: ;) :D Ever see Posting like this??? :shock: ;) I wonder if they look at the JUMPING FOR JOY,Post < HERE. This stuff is so POSITIVE and FACT not just DREAMING for SURE in life :roll: :mrgreen: :shock:
Mr Positive, Years ago I went to a Chicago UBPN picnic , I talk to children Moms and Youngsters. After they saw my Erbs and The fact I drove semis and that I was a Master Diver, I guess it Encourage them ?? :shock: :roll: But Man You Guys are so out There with your trys and POSTINGS !!, Its nice I am Not Alone , That Scary :shock: :lol: :mrgreen:
:shock:
Tom
djk
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: extensive right side brachial plexus injury as a result of a motorcycle accident on 8/25/10.

Post by djk »

great picture. it would be fun to be able to do that. if i was a judge in a competition i would request a card much higher than 10. she, and everyone around her can be very proud and pleased. thanks for letting us see that. doug
jemmy3
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LTBPI Motorcycle [BMW /5] VS Buick Le Sabre August 89.

Post by jemmy3 »

They say pictures are worth a thousand words....
Well, that one is easily worth 2000!
Thank you very much for sharing it w/ us, it's very inspiring!

John
eweinstein wrote:My daughter is still on a competitive dance team despite one arm not moving. She has learned to balance really well. I am so glad she did not give it up.