New Video and New Study needs Adult OBPI's

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
AngelaW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: X

New Video and New Study needs Adult OBPI's

Post by AngelaW »

UPDATE!!!!!
Wow, still getting email about the study, which is great, but I have actually moved from Rochester and am now no longer helping out. I would send any inquiries to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester , Mn. :)
Also, I sadly closed the videos down because it was brought to my attention that they could too easily be copied and reposted without my permission and they were just meant to be viewed on this site alone. A bummer.
Take care all. :)
Last edited by AngelaW on Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ArmStrong
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: HI BPI FAMILY ON SEPT.19 2010 I CRASHED ON MY MOTORCYCLE AND SUFFERD A FRACTURED BACK AND NECK AND A CLOSED,TRAUMATIC BPI LEFT ARM PARALYZED,SOME FINGER AND WRIST MOVEMENT.

Re: IMPORTANT!!!! New Video and New Study needs Adult OBPI's

Post by ArmStrong »

Angela you look great! congratulations on all of your success,you have such a beautiful attitude and a beautiful smile,may you continue to shine!
AngelaW

Post by AngelaW »

Thanks so much :) It's been great hearing your honesty about your struggles on this board.....It's sooo inportant to share your journey so others don't feel so lost. Keep up the great work yourself :)
jmar
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: brachial plexus stretch during thoracic outlet syndrome surgery on may 18, 2010.

Post by jmar »

WOW!!! amazing!! i can see why you are so excited.
Football BPI Mom
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My son had a football injury Nov. 20, 2010.

Post by Football BPI Mom »

Can you remind me how long ago your surgery was?
hilltopfwb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: May 24, 2008 an 88 year old lady did not see me and pulled out while I was riding my 06 HD Street Glide. The accident resulted in 9 broken bones and brain hemorrhaging. The accident's most serious results was two avulsions confirmed in my C6 & C7 vertebrae. In Oct of 08 Dr. Li of Wake Forest University performed nerve transfer lasting around 8 hours in surgery. I have limited use now of my left arm. It took until July of 09 before it moved at all, and now is moving limited. I experience burning pain in my left hand, staying busy helps keep the mind off of burning. I visited the Mayo Clinic May, 2010 and consulted with their brachial plexus team. May 1, 2012, I underwent a muscle transfer at Wake Forest University. This surgery was deemed a success and I have more movement in my arm.

Post by hilltopfwb »

you are doing phenomenal! Congrats!
AngelaW

Post by AngelaW »

Thanks so much for al the nice comments everyone! They are really appreciated. :)
Also, even though this is the tpbi board, if any of you happen to know an obpi who may be interested pease encourage them to participate as a study like this can only help the entire community in the end.
Thanks,
Ang :)
AngelaW

Post by AngelaW »

Update

An excellent question was emailed to me asking if people who participate will also recieve an evaluation or will the info just be written up in a study and they will not have access to it. Here is the reply from Dr. Elhassan:

"I'm willing to evaluate and give my recommendation about potential treatment to any patient who requests so. This is one of the main reasons I decided to see all patients myself"

So just to sweeten the pot a little, though the participants must pay travel expenses (travel, room and board, food, etc), it is a chance to get a free evaluation by a Mayo clinic BPI surgeon. This type of consultation usually costs around $500 and many people can't even get the the referral to get the consultation so this is a rare opportunity for many of you to get a free consultation from a Mayo BPI expert and also, hopefully, helps justify some of the travel expense. :)
djk
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: extensive right side brachial plexus injury as a result of a motorcycle accident on 8/25/10.

Post by djk »

i love to prep & cook and i've always felt there is nothing like a beautiful woman with a razor sharp cleaver. :D i'm very happy for you. thank you for posting the link. doug
AngelaW

Post by AngelaW »

UPDATE: X-rays

Here are some extra details about the process of the xrays for those who chose to have them done at the local hospital of thier choice (this is especially in the cases where he would fly to meet people do the physical evaluation and it woud much more convenient to have the xrays already done)

1) Q:

How recent do the xrays need to be (as in if they've had xrays in say
the last 6 months would they still need new xrays?)

A:

Xrays obtained over
the past 2 years are acceptable especially for those older than 20 yrs

2) Q:

Do they need a referral from you to get the xrays done (I think most
will) and if so, how do they get it?
A:

If they are willing to do the xrays, then let them email me with their
information and I will fax xray request for them

3) Q:

If they get xrays in their hometown, by what method do you plan to
reimburse them? (Check, cash, etc. )?