LAST SURGERY!!!

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
AngelaW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: X

LAST SURGERY!!!

Post by AngelaW »

Had my last official surgery this week to rotate my arm into a better position. Yay!!! It's been 3 years and around 30 surgeries (4 in the last 2 months). It's nice to be at the end. I will have to find a new hobby. ;P (oh and don't worry, of all those surgeries, only about 5 were for the brachial plexus injury)
Last edited by AngelaW on Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ArmStrong
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: HI BPI FAMILY ON SEPT.19 2010 I CRASHED ON MY MOTORCYCLE AND SUFFERD A FRACTURED BACK AND NECK AND A CLOSED,TRAUMATIC BPI LEFT ARM PARALYZED,SOME FINGER AND WRIST MOVEMENT.

Re: LAST SURGERY!!!

Post by ArmStrong »

What a journey for you Angela,glad to know you're done with having surgery you've come along way!may God bless you and your family and may you continue to make strides.Thanks for sharing.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Bless you,Angela! May this be indeed your last surgury!
Your new hobby is posting for us on these Message BoardS. We learn sooo much from you.
HUGGZ,
Carolyn J
LOBPI/73+
AngelaW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: X

Post by AngelaW »

Saw my doc yesterday and got the splint off. So far everything is looking great and now I can extend for a low handshake and it looks pretty darn natural. I get to have a Bone Stimulator too to help heal the bone. Sounds very Sci-Fi/Horror genre, don't you think?
We'll be shooting an official video once my arm has healed, but I did a little home video to show how the improved angle of my hand affects it's use. .....It even makes my ugly little aparetment kitchen look good. ;P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdfeYey9v5k
MW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LTBPI, Feb 2009, hit by truck while on a run. Free muscle transfer at Mayo Clinic 6 months later.

Post by MW »

Hi Angela,

Just wanted to say congrats and that your mini video was great! I had a bone stimulator too - I'm not sure if it helped but it sure didn't do any harm.

MW
thebrain
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 6/12/10 avulsion of several roots due to motorcycle accident. So far I've
had two nerve transfers: intercostal to biceps and spinal accessory to
superscapular. The superscapular is working, holding my shoulder in place so I don't have to wear a sling all the time, and I can 'lift' that arm a few degrees away from my body. The bicep is firing but not enough to flex, yet.

Post by thebrain »

congrats on being 'done' (fingers crossed)

i watched your video and i have to say, i would kill for that kind of function in my left arm