Visine for horners

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
MW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LTBPI, Feb 2009, hit by truck while on a run. Free muscle transfer at Mayo Clinic 6 months later.

Visine for horners

Post by MW »

Hi all,

Just wanted to share a interesting bit I learned on my last Mayo trip. Part of my injury is a horner's syndrome, where my eyelid droops a bit on the affect side, especially when I'm tired. I asked Dr Bishop what could be done about that, which resulted in an immediate consult over to Mayo ophthalmology. In addition to a permanent surgical solution, the provider there told me that Visine "gets the red out" can temporarily relieve the symptoms. And it does! Within seconds of putting a drop in, the eyelid perks up, and it lasts several hours.

Anyways, everyone is different, ask your doctor first etc...but this is certainly something to consider. Call me vain, but I definitely wish I had known about this earlier.

MW
AngelaW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: X

Re: Visine for horners

Post by AngelaW »

wow, that's fascinating...........and Visine is nice and CHEAP!!! ;P
Jesemega89

Post by Jesemega89 »

is there a permanent surgical option? My doctor told me last year that there wasnt. I am just tired of people pointing it out.
MW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LTBPI, Feb 2009, hit by truck while on a run. Free muscle transfer at Mayo Clinic 6 months later.

Post by MW »

Yes there is (or at least I had the option). I spoke to the opthamologist who said she could do it (and has done it many times), and said it's a pretty brief outpatient procedure. I told her I'd try out the Visine solution first and might consider the surgery down the road.

Anyways, the provider was Elizabeth Bradley at Mayo Clinic Rochester, MN.

Good luck! And if you get the procedure, I'd definitely like to know your thoughts.
PatE
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Right brachial plexus avulsion of C5, 6, 7, 8 and T1 from 1979 car accident. Wore sling for 30 years. Gracilis and Trapezius transfer 2011. Wrist fusion and finger tendon release 2012.

Post by PatE »

That's interesting. I didn't know the droopy eyelid was even related to the TBPI until about 2 years ago. What I love about the Visine is that there are NO surgical instruments involved. Thanks for the info MW.

On a personal note, it was great meeting you in Rochester in November. I hope you are doing well and are having a wonderful holiday....although it must be a little cold up north there for your sporting activities. I'm still in the recovery process from the trapezious transfer wearing a SCOI brace. I have about another 4 weeks in it. Ughhh. Take care.