Videos: Before and After Surgeries

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
dani_was_here
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Traumatic BPI, June 8, 2008, Nerve graft surgery

Re: Videos: Before and After Surgeries

Post by dani_was_here »

I was told they need to wait a year to 18 months to be sure the nerves aren't going to heal on ther own. I'm almost 2 years post nerve transfer surgery and they're just considering it now. They are going to take get as much of my upper arm functional as they can and then work on my wrist and hand, which includes fusing my wrist. In my case it will probably be another year until everything is done and healed and as good as I'm going to get.
AngelaW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: X

Post by AngelaW »

Thanks Irene, I'm so glad you like the videos and posts. Looking foreward to hearing from you too :)

Armstrong - yup, dani's correct. Nerves heal very slowly so the doctors want to give your body time to recover any natural function it can before they go back in and start rearranging things. Sitting around and waiting is one of the most frustrating things about this injury. I remember thinking that if had just lost the dang arm in the accident at least I would have had some immediate closure. It was so stressful not knowing what to do with my my arm and what would happen. "Fortunately" I had a lot of other non-arm surgeries to keep my mind occupied, lol :lol:
ArmStrong
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: HI BPI FAMILY ON SEPT.19 2010 I CRASHED ON MY MOTORCYCLE AND SUFFERD A FRACTURED BACK AND NECK AND A CLOSED,TRAUMATIC BPI LEFT ARM PARALYZED,SOME FINGER AND WRIST MOVEMENT.

Post by ArmStrong »

WOW, THANKS DANI AND ANGELA I DON'T KNOW HOW YOU GUYS ARE GETTING THROUGH THIS..LOL...I HAVE TO LAUGH TO KEEP FROM CRYING,IT'S ONLY BEEN 7 MONTHS SINCE MY ACCIDENT AND BARLEY A MONTH SINCE SURGERY,I'M LIKE WHY DON'T THESE DOCTORS DO AS MUCH AS THEY CAN AT ONCE!BUT I'M NOT GOING TO COMPLAIN,I KNOW IT WONT DO ANYGOOD..I'M GOING TO CONTINUE TO LAUGH LIKE THAT GUY IN THE MOVIE "EVIL DEAD" AFTER HE CUTS HIS OWN HAND OFF AND IT TRYS TO ATTACK HIM....LOL
AngelaW

Post by AngelaW »

Hahaha. Hey, having a chainsaw for a hand would be pretty cool. ;p
pieface
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Full root avulsion of C5,C6,C7,C8,T1 September 2009.
Surgery October 2009.
Donor nerve taken from fore arm, sliced into 3 pieces.
Used for C5, C6 , C7 to re implanted back into the spine and attached
to brachial.

Post by pieface »

Hey Angela

Great videos, the function you have is excellent. Can you tell me the extent of your original injury?
chimley
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am the wife of Rick, LTBPI. On 6/30/2008, our lives were forever changed. Rick was in a severe auto accident and sustained multiple injuries: broken jaw and facial bones, mild traumatic brain injury, L1 fracture, 4th cranial nerve palsy and LTBPI. With regard to the LTBPI, Rick has had an ulner nerve transfer (January 2009). We are now considering next steps in his treatment, perhaps some muscle transfers. Pain continues to be the worst thing about his injury. We are told that the pain goes away within five years or people have learned to deal with it. Meanwhile, we pray....and wait.

Post by chimley »

Angela,
I sent you a private message. I have some questions for you. We are interested in seeing Dr. Elhassan.

Thanks!
Kim
Wife of Rick, LTBPI
billvxii
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Motorcycle accident Sept 15,2011. R BPI. R Scapula break. 4 Clavicular breaks. T4 & T8 vertebrae breaks.All ribs broken. 4 replaced with titanium ribs.351GRE8

Post by billvxii »

You look a lot happier in Video 2!!
I am just getting to the fix phase ( i.e. trying to get referrals from Drs in my ins plan to go out of network because no Dr in my network does this) In fact all the neurologists in my group say just wait the body can heal itself. AARRRGG!!!!! It took me doig searching to convince them I only have a few months left (accident 9/15/2011) before I might as well cut it off. And pain, I'm there with you on that score, ouch all day and night.
Boy am I bi#@hy!
Anyway, thanks for showing there are miricles to be had!
Bill
jmar
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: brachial plexus stretch during thoracic outlet syndrome surgery on may 18, 2010.

Post by jmar »

bill, i am so happy you found out about the wait game before it became too late to do anything about it. good luck to you in your upcoming treatments. :D
AngelaW

Post by AngelaW »

So glad they helped out! :)