New to UBPN

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
John Clark
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI from birth Dec 1964

Re: New to UBPN

Post by John Clark »

Carolyn: I have also reached out and would love to participate! Hopefully Dr. can travel close to Philly!
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

:) :mrgreen: ,John! I hope you come to Camp 2012 next July too.
Carolyn J
LOBPI/73
marylandmom
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Left OBPI. Surgical intervention age 6 years. Good cosmetic effect. Still with significant functional impairment.

Post by marylandmom »

Welcome John.
I also have Erb's palsy since birth...43 yrs.....
Hope Philly is a good common locale for Dr. E to come from Mayo.
I live in the greater Baltimore area and would happily travel to Philly over MN!

I find that my affected shoulder pulls forward and that I think this is from the relative "tightness" I have in my chest musculature relative to my back muscles. So the affected shoulder tends to roll forward...and hike up to my ear. I would imagine that a "smaller" appearing shoulder is due to muscle imbalance and not a bony issue.

I have found that modified yoga for the past 7+ years has helped me tremendously. I am unable to move my affected arm above my head but have been shown modifications and I know I am physically stronger and more flexible because of it. I also have to take special care no to hurt my neck as it likes to jump in and activate when my shoulder cannot.

One of my biggest frustrations in exploring how I feel about having BPI is that it is NOT immeditely visible to those in casual contact. It is a big part about how I think of myself and yet this is hidden from others unless I choose to share it with them. Adds to my sense of shame at times b/c I "forget" that they cannot see it and assume that they are "ignoring" it: an issue I had growing up.

Hope you are able to learn about this important part of yourself here.
Sara
sdancan
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: i was born July 21, 1990. I weighed 10lbs 11oz... my mom was supposed to have a cesarean because of my size, but for some reason i havent really asked the scheduling didnt happen and when time of delivery i was born breach in the hands of a mid-wife, in beautiful San Diego Ca. i was taken from my mom right away she didnt get to see me until an hour after i was born. when i did come back into the room my right arm was wrapped up and said to have tested with needle through it. i have Erb's Palsy, many wouldnt know it because with the love and faith of my parent, and some patients where determined to gain something back in my arm. the doctors told my parents i would never be able to move it and that it wouldnt grow to its adult size. ive proved them wrong! i dont see it as a disability because i can do anything someone else can just differently. im 21 now and wanting to know more about my arm and finding that there is plenty more people like me......

Post by sdancan »

:) hi my name is sabrina im new to this site and i came across your posting, im 21 and wanted to post almost the exact same thing that you have except that it is my right arm... i knew other people have Erb's Palsy but reading that someone else has almost the exact way of life just astounds me! its nice to meet you!! have a wonderful day

sabrina
Have a Wonderful Day!!! :)
Rico_Laniohan
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I suffered a Brachial plexus injury do to a motorcycle crash, my complete left arm is paralyzed. It happened in June of 2010. I was 25 years old. unfortunately, I've never had surgery. If theres help out there im willing to try anything to help it heal. I need resources.

Post by Rico_Laniohan »

Brand new to ubpn. I suffered from a motorcycle crash which left my left arm paralyzed.
I was 25 when it happened, that was two years ago. I was extremely interested when I found out about this site :D I hope to meet some new friends.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

Post by Carolyn J »

Welcome,Rico to our UBPN Family. We Care, we support and there is a load of acturate information. there is no such thing as a dumb question, only the one not asked. Everyone is welcome on all message Forum boards.
Carolyn J
LOBPI/74 8-) :D
Rico_Laniohan
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I suffered a Brachial plexus injury do to a motorcycle crash, my complete left arm is paralyzed. It happened in June of 2010. I was 25 years old. unfortunately, I've never had surgery. If theres help out there im willing to try anything to help it heal. I need resources.

Post by Rico_Laniohan »

Thank you for the welcome Carolyn. Im very excited about this site and trust me, I am not shy when it comes to asking questions as well as voicing my opinion. Your very kind for welcoming me :)
Carolyn J

Post by Carolyn J »

Keep coming back here,Rico. I am interested in your opinions.
Carolyn J
LOBPI/74