motorcycles and BPI

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
ArmStrong
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: HI BPI FAMILY ON SEPT.19 2010 I CRASHED ON MY MOTORCYCLE AND SUFFERD A FRACTURED BACK AND NECK AND A CLOSED,TRAUMATIC BPI LEFT ARM PARALYZED,SOME FINGER AND WRIST MOVEMENT.

Re: motorcycles and BPI

Post by ArmStrong »

Really miss that feeling that riding gave me!......gonna have to do something about it :x !.....think I'll try some snowboarding this winter......for starts! :P
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:
-dominant side C5, C6, & C7 avulsed. C8 & T1 stretched & crushed

BPI Related Surgeries:
-2 Intercostal nerves grafted to Biceps muscle,
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.
-2 Sural nerves harvested from both Calves for nerve grafting.
-Partial Ulnar nerve grafted to Long Triceps.
-Uninjured C7 Hemi-Contralateral cross-over to Deltoid muscle.
-Wrist flexor tendon transfer to middle, ring, & pinky finger extensors.

Surgical medical facility:
Brachial Plexus Clinic at The Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
(all surgeries successful)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt

Post by Christopher »

THERE IS NO THINK... ONLY DO

~YODA
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

Hi Armstrong :D
Your doing great!!! You have come a long way ;)
Keep your motorcycle license because you never know what may happen or what your limitation might broaden what you can do in time ;) That , I should say to anyone wanting to ride again and posting :D I know when I start riding in the 60s with birth erbs with so little usage, I was focus on finding away to adapt and never gave it a second thought , except finding away to adapt to ride :shock: I still have my motorcycle license today but with the limitation in both arms, I know I will never ride again so I guess, I keep it of a pride of overcoming :D My alliterative is doing car shows with a customized Gto I designed :D
The most positive thing is getting alternatives in the face of limitation and by doing so the Negative of things not working out diminish and you find Joy in what you can find away to do in-spite of the limitation your left with :roll: If you find yourself with things that did not work out :roll: It is so important to focus on what you can do, Finding that joy of doing by alternatives will defeat the felling of despair ;)
Tom
bjennings
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: C5 thru T1 avulsed on 3/17/2011 in a motorcycle accident.

follow me on instagram @bjennings276

Post by bjennings »

ArmStrong wrote:Really miss that feeling that riding gave me!......gonna have to do something about it :x !.....think I'll try some snowboarding this winter......for starts! :P

thats what i replaced riding with. i love it!
jmar
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: brachial plexus stretch during thoracic outlet syndrome surgery on may 18, 2010.

Post by jmar »

QUESTION: did any of you lose your balance for riding a bike? if so, for how long? i can not ride a bicycle any more because i cant balance it like i used to. will my balance come back? my ability to balance when walking came back, but i still can not ride a bike. i also used to be able to walk on a balance beam, but can no longer do that either.
bill de brooklyn
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: BP injury July 20, 1968 the result of an auto accident(c5). No surgery.

Post by bill de brooklyn »

I had no balance problem. check the bike you are riding to make sure it, the frame, is not bent. if the frame is not bent you should be able to ride with no hands on the handle bar.
jmar
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: brachial plexus stretch during thoracic outlet syndrome surgery on may 18, 2010.

Post by jmar »

my injury was during a surgery. when i got up, i had problems walking. it was a few months later when i tried to ride my brand new bicycle when i discovered a balance problem. i have no problem walking now, but i still cant ride a bicycle.
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:
-dominant side C5, C6, & C7 avulsed. C8 & T1 stretched & crushed

BPI Related Surgeries:
-2 Intercostal nerves grafted to Biceps muscle,
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.
-2 Sural nerves harvested from both Calves for nerve grafting.
-Partial Ulnar nerve grafted to Long Triceps.
-Uninjured C7 Hemi-Contralateral cross-over to Deltoid muscle.
-Wrist flexor tendon transfer to middle, ring, & pinky finger extensors.

Surgical medical facility:
Brachial Plexus Clinic at The Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
(all surgeries successful)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt

Post by Christopher »

jmar

Post by jmar »

dont really need inspiration to ride a bicycle....just some balance....lol
hilltopfwb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: May 24, 2008 an 88 year old lady did not see me and pulled out while I was riding my 06 HD Street Glide. The accident resulted in 9 broken bones and brain hemorrhaging. The accident's most serious results was two avulsions confirmed in my C6 & C7 vertebrae. In Oct of 08 Dr. Li of Wake Forest University performed nerve transfer lasting around 8 hours in surgery. I have limited use now of my left arm. It took until July of 09 before it moved at all, and now is moving limited. I experience burning pain in my left hand, staying busy helps keep the mind off of burning. I visited the Mayo Clinic May, 2010 and consulted with their brachial plexus team. May 1, 2012, I underwent a muscle transfer at Wake Forest University. This surgery was deemed a success and I have more movement in my arm.

Post by hilltopfwb »

I had never heard of TBPI before it happened to me. I found this site soon after my injury and I am so thankful I learned what to do next. I Had nerve transfers and experience some use of my arm a year later.