Positive Reaction

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
brittwitt
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
Injured at birth. Moderate injury with no surgeries.

Positive Reaction

Post by brittwitt »

I meant to share this a long time ago but I'm just now getting to it. During awareness week in October, I posted this photo along with this message on my Facebook:
554163_10151215174379701_1057510936_n.jpg
554163_10151215174379701_1057510936_n.jpg (58.46 KiB) Viewed 5198 times
"Fun Fact: I can't lift my left arm higher than this.

Lol ok so not so fun actually. No, it's not a birth defect. It's actually an injury caused by my doctor during my delivery. My shoulder became stuck on my mom's pelvic bone and the doctor used so much force twisting my head and neck that it stretched the nerves leading from my spinal cord to my arm. This is called a Brachial Plexus Injury or Erb's Palsy. Most people have never heard of it but more children suffer from brachial plexus injuries sustained at birth than Down Syndrome or Muscular Dystrophy. It's BPI Awareness Week so I thought I'd share. If you are pregnant or know someone who is, here are some risk factors and prevention tips http://ubpn.org/index.php?option=co ... Itemid=108.

If you are ever curious or want to know anything about it, just ask me. I only charge $5."

I wanted to put up a quick little statement about the injury to raise awareness and educate a few of my friends browsing Facebook instead of studying. However, I was blown away by the response! 130 people "liked" it meaning that at least that many took the time to read what I had to say about the injury. There were also lots of sincere questions and comments from people genuinely interested in learning more. I was touched that so many people would show that kind of support and really excited that they all know something about the injury now. I was initially a little self conscious about even putting the picture up. I don't necessarily hide my injury, but I'm not one to get attention from it either so I felt like I was putting myself out there. It was pretty uplifting to receive such a positive reaction.

Anyway, I was really happy about it, and I thought some of you guys would be too so I thought I'd share a little positivity :)

Brittney, 20
LOBPI
Master DIVER TOM

Re: Positive Reaction

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

Wow, ;)
Talk about Awareness and a Great Example ;)
The topic before yours was about a Mom and a daughter with erbs question. Talking about a match post for awareness and example to maybe help the mom help the daughter :roll:
I got a :P when I put these to topic together, GREAT timing brittwitt for your topic !! ;) :D
Tom
Birth erbs,61
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Great Job, Brittney!! :D
Thanks for sharing. I never got responses for my Awareness post/s on Facebook...I'm happy that you did!
Carolyn J 8-)
LOBPI/74
richinma2005
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter Kailyn ROBPI, June 14, 1997.
Surgery with Dr Waters (BCH), April 1999 and in February 2012
2 more daughters, Julia (1999), Sarah(2002) born Cesarean.

Post by richinma2005 »

awesome post!
Master DIVER TOM

First To Carolyn, I m sorry , I would of posted :shock:
But Here you ARE , Great to forwards Awareness, Picture that ;) :D

Man ,
Its all about moving forwards, we all gain, this over time. Idea of adapting are amazing to me , we all find very special ways to over come by are TRYS!!!! :shock: ;) in life no matter what the outcome :roll: :shock: , To me Courage has always been a gift, There are no failures in trying Because we try our best ;) :D The challenge is large but we all have the heart to keep trying ;) :D
My Posting :roll:
They come with HUGS and keeping my finger cross :roll: :oops:. I always think my grammar was not that good, I DID NOt say it right, I should of stayed a Lurker, What Happens If what I say ????? , someone will be mad at me and put me in (QouTES)?? Dam I should of stayed a Lurker, Sometimes post do get pass on without response, sometimes you responed and no one gives you fed-back. Sometimes all we can offer is our experance to offer To Help :roll: , and wait to help futher??? Sometime we wate to help , but never getting a responce post. Courage and help we all learn , reaching out or responeding , tens to be hard to do?? :roll:
Dam Courage , I just did a Post?????? No surpize I did To ;)
I Always hope,DID, I said things Right, :roll: To Help :shock: :roll: I all ways Wonder This!!! :roll: :shock:
Always,
Mr Positive,
Just,
Tom :shock:
brittwitt
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
Injured at birth. Moderate injury with no surgeries.

Post by brittwitt »

Carolyn, just because people didn't respond doesn't mean they didn't read what you had to say! I'm sure you educated lots of people without even realizing! haha I just had a big response because most of my facebook friends are college students scouring facebook for a homework distraction :) I think whether you write an editorial, put a bumper stick on your car, educate your friends, contact a news station, or post a facebook status any awareness is awesome. You never know when an injury will be prevented because you took the time to put the information out there.

And Tom, I love reading what you have to say. I'm always happy to see you post :)
Master DIVER TOM

Thanks britwitt ;) :D
Awareness to me, comes from a lot of heart when We try to post our experience and things we can share a possible way to adapt to over time,we hope :roll: . Sometime by what we post, lurkers are in-courage to post and they do by there topic ;) We all have a alphabet in our forms of injury and so many-times we post to explain things from experience to try but then again the difference in limitation show up to a reader, so the reader can look at the ones that do ;) :D ITS all good-!! ;) We have one goal to inspire with awareness :roll: , In trying to help just one person viewing our post at a time, We Hope???? All injuries, just are not the same or when you got them, so nothing will fit all the time for everyone , I think?. :roll: What I do know some do read our post-you see the viewer numbers it always make me smile :D Maybe I said something Maybe it help, Someone?? ;) Awareness and lurkers might have something in common,I think :shock: :D
It truly was amazing Brittwitt, when you posted and the next topic with a mom trying to help her daughter :shock: Nice timing ;) :D
Great Positive Reaction ;) :D
Tom