Want to talk to a few people who have had amputation...

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
thebrain
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 6/12/10 avulsion of several roots due to motorcycle accident. So far I've
had two nerve transfers: intercostal to biceps and spinal accessory to
superscapular. The superscapular is working, holding my shoulder in place so I don't have to wear a sling all the time, and I can 'lift' that arm a few degrees away from my body. The bicep is firing but not enough to flex, yet.

Want to talk to a few people who have had amputation...

Post by thebrain »

Thats it. If you have had your arm amputated and are willing to talk to me about it, can you send me a message so we can exchange some kind of contact information (phone/facebook/AIM/gchat) that will facilitate an actual conversation?

Thanks,
-brian
thebrain
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 6/12/10 avulsion of several roots due to motorcycle accident. So far I've
had two nerve transfers: intercostal to biceps and spinal accessory to
superscapular. The superscapular is working, holding my shoulder in place so I don't have to wear a sling all the time, and I can 'lift' that arm a few degrees away from my body. The bicep is firing but not enough to flex, yet.

Re: Want to talk to a few people who have had amputation...

Post by thebrain »

Actually I can't figure out if/where there is a message function here anymore, so just email me?

bdbish@gmail.com

please don't spam me...
z28barry

Post by z28barry »

I've had it done after living with it for 25 years.
It came to the point that physical injuries to the arm were becoming to much for me.
Bumping it and hearing something crack and the last time it happened, severe pain for 3 days.
Enough's enough, time to remove it.
I am still very early in the recovery and still have the staples holding the wound together as it heals.
I am very pleased to say the there was no noticeable phantom pain added, but it is still very early in the recovery.
I can not say that will be the same for others as everyone's injury is different and may have different out comes.
What I can say is, no more worries about physical injuries to the arm as it is no longer there to be injured.
I still have all the phantom pain that I had before and that was totally expected and pointed out to me.
hope that helps a little anyway.

Later, Barry. 8-)
Wifeofpain
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Husband suffered LTBPI and many other injuries from motorbike 2004. Nerve graft at 12 months unsuccessful. Amputation L arm 2008. Intense burning/stabbing pain since accident.
Ever hopeful for a better way. Our journey may help others.

Post by Wifeofpain »

Hi Brian,

It's been a while since you posted this. What did you decide to do?

My husband got his TBPI in an accident in Aug 2004 and had his left arm amputated in Aug 2008. He doesn't think it gave him any more phantom pain but it sure gave him more mobility and balance. He has no regrets. The arm got in the way and he had to keep nursing it. The last straw for him was when he fell, in front of our then 4yr old daughter (who panicked when she saw her Dad fall like that) and broke his ribs. He couldn't stop his fall with his good arm because it was holding his bad arm. Also, whatever he did, he had to sling up (which was hurting his neck) or hold his arm. Now he doesn't have to worry about it. His lower back pain disappeared too because, if your deltoid doesn't hold up your shoulder, your lower back does.

Happy for you to contact us: mktn3@bigpond.com