It's been a while, but an update for those who may care

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
cdmurfee

It's been a while, but an update for those who may care

Post by cdmurfee »

Hello Everyone,

It's been awhile since I've been the boards. My life basically got turned upside-down dealing with some pretty awful identity theft, but things are coming around. I just thought I'd let those of you who may remember, that I am pursuing cycling in my spare time to hopefully be able to compete for the USA para-cycling team as a representative for us with BPI. The pursuit is starting to come together, as I've won several races so far this year, including the road race and TT for the first para-cycling edition of the Redlands Bicycle Classis held in conjuction with the longstanding handcycling and pro race, last week. I've been competitive against perfectly able-bodied athletes as well for my other good results. I find cycling to be one if the best sports there is, and one where I don't feel limited as much by my arm, and would encourage everyone to hop on a bike every once in a while. I've learned a lot about myself through this endeavor, and really had to push the boundaries of what I thought was impossible for me. I used to use my BPI as a reason not to do things which since I've learned I can do, as scary as it was to learn. For those who don't know me, I'm 28, from southern California, and have OBPI in my left arm. I don't want to put myself on a pedistol, but I do want to be an example for what is possible in life with BPI, especially for the little ones and their parents who might be (understandably) a little over-protective, as my mom was. So far this racing season, I've earned 4 first placing, 1 second, and 1 third, and have had a great time doing so. I also just finished (I believe 52nd/360) a 130mile bike ride thru the steep hills of Carlsbad which benefitted the Challenged Athletes Foundation, an organization which helped me get started with competitive cycling. I'm getting ready for a shot at the State Time Trial Chsmpionships, where I've been led to believe I have a pretty good shot at based on my recent results. After that, Para-cycling nationals, hoping to make a selection for one of the national teams.

I'll finish up right by challenging everyone reading to ponder what you can do, not what you can't, and to think about all the things that make your life good, as that never goes out of style!

Best wishes,
Chris Murphy, LOBPI
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Re: It's been a while, but an update for those who may care

Post by Carolyn J »

Great to hear from you Chris! YOu inspire me! Keep coming back, please.
Carolyn J
LOBPI/74++++ 8-)
prestonsmama

Post by prestonsmama »

What an encouragement you are! I am one of those overly protective mamas even though I know I shouldn't be. Some days are easier than others. Reading your post helps me to see the possibilities for Preston. Thank you so much!

~Carly~
cdmurfee

Post by cdmurfee »

So yesterday was the state time trial championships for southern CA and Nevada, and I won! I beat 25 other able-bodied men, including a former navy seal who placed 2nd. Further confirmation to go after your goals and dreams with a game plan, and not let the knowledge that we live with a permanent injury stop us before we begin.

-Chris, 28/LOBPI
cdmurfee

Post by cdmurfee »

For a moment, I got to stand proud on the top step, and raise my arms as well as I could.

-Chris
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (140.17 KiB) Viewed 5966 times
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

WOOOHOO!!!

Carolyn J
LOBPI/74+ 8-)
richinma2005
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter Kailyn ROBPI, June 14, 1997.
Surgery with Dr Waters (BCH), April 1999 and in February 2012
2 more daughters, Julia (1999), Sarah(2002) born Cesarean.

Post by richinma2005 »

Awesome
richinma2005
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter Kailyn ROBPI, June 14, 1997.
Surgery with Dr Waters (BCH), April 1999 and in February 2012
2 more daughters, Julia (1999), Sarah(2002) born Cesarean.

Post by richinma2005 »

COuld you post this on facebook/TheUBPN
?