E-stim

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
boone2675
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My son Luke was born 7/11 with ROBPI-Primary nerve graft surgery done 10/11 at Children's Hospital in Boston, MA. Avulsion of 3 nerves (C5, C6 and T1) and C7 and C8 were stretched. Luke also has Horner's Syndrome on right side. He also experienced transient tachypnea (rapid breathing) at birth so damage to the nerve going to the diaphram was probably also injured (never confirmed) but after 5 days in "sick nursery" the condition resolved itself.

E-stim

Post by boone2675 »

Having a problem searching the forums for info so I figured I'd just ask. We have been using e-stim on my son (ROBPI) for about 6 months without much luck getting his bicep to respond. Our home therapist through Early Intervention has suggested trying a different machine. Right now we are using an Empi TENS machine. She wants to try a direct current machine. This is the one she had in mind -

http://www.medlabsinc.com/Med_Labs/E-STIM.html

I have contacted his doctor and I'm still waiting for him to get back to me with his opinion. But was looking for some real world experiences with this machine, if anyone is willing to share.

Has anyone ever used something like this on their child or themselves? If so, how did it go? Good or bad reviews? Painful or not too bad? Did it work to get contracture of muscle? Any info would be greatly appreciated!!
Sarah, mom to Luke robpi
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Re: E-stim

Post by F-Litz »

(1) the muscle is not innervated OR
(2) you're not on the motor point

And honestly... and I say this lovingly because I've been down this road with my own daughter, now 15 -- if your therapist doesn't know how to locate a motor point, then you are working with the wrong therapist. Because it is SUPER EASY to find a motor point IF you've been trained correctly.

http://www.advancedmusclestimulators.com/
contact Pia Stampe here -- Pia is an E-STIM expert. Spend some time with Pia and you will know everything you need to know and you will have a plan that you'll be able to do on your own. If you live closer to New Jersey - then contact Cindy Servello, OTR. cindy1otr@aol.com. Cindy and Pia travel the country teaching therapists how to do all this stuff. They both do private intensives. You learn, you go home and you do it, then you keep in touch, ask questions, send videos, etc.

My intention is loving - please don't take offense.
Feel free to email me privately - franlitz@gmail.com.

Francine :)
gawilliams
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter born 8/16/10 has OBPI in the right arm....First surgery(nerve graft) done at 5 months(performed by Dr. Kozin).... four avulsions, one rupture (at the spine)..... As of 4/9/11 still no movement in arm, wrist or hand. As June 2013, bicep, elbow, shoulder function active, flexing with gravity, still no wrist or hand/finger function.

Re: E-stim

Post by gawilliams »

Thanks Francine for this info. My daughter's PT is really big on the e-stem. We try to use it for atleast 4-6 hours a day. She showed us how to put them, but always wondered if we were doing it correctly. I will be looking on the website you provided.

Alexis