Physio

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
erica

Physio

Post by erica »

Hi All!
It's been a while since I last posted anything. WOw this is fantastic to have our own board. I feel soo much safer.
I was hoping for your all input on my question.
Well since school started again I got thinking about PT. I really think my arm could use the stretching and continuous range of motion exercises. My problem is that my last physiotherapists hurried me into home exercises and into the gym. Well that's fine, but I just never do the home exercises and my attendance at the gym always fades down into nothing(hey I'm 21). So I am wondering if I should attempt physio again. I just don't want to be asigned home exercises. I would really like to. I'm just not sure what to do. Any ideas.
Erica:o)
Kristie

Re: Physio

Post by Kristie »

Erica,
I think getting the Physio would be good! Just tell the person that works with you what is realistic... that you want to see them each week for therapy. I told my dentist all about what a bad brusher ect I am and he was really understanding and helped me find ways to make my teeth better. All that to say I think people appericate honesty and if you tell the person you are working with just what you wrote here I would think they would be willing to help you. But remember you should do some at home stuff too!

Kristie
francine

Post by francine »

Erica - the last I remember, you are in college right? How about choosing phys ed classes that would work your arm ? That way you would HAVE to go because it's a class for credit? Maybe they have yoga? or something in the water?

take care,
francine
Judy-T
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Right arm OBPI One surgery at age 40 Ulnar nerve retransposition

Post by Judy-T »

Erica, When I was in college we had a medical center that offered free therapy. I use to go and they would use an ultrasound type machine and let me use their equipment. See if the school you are going to has such a program.Good luck. Judy
Carrie

Post by Carrie »

Hey, Erica,
I can never keep myself on the schedule of doing rom and stuff, and a friend of mine recommended a behavior modification technique: you make a grid on paper (or you can buy paper with a grid) and then get some stickers, you get a sticker every time you do ROM or stretches or whatever, and when the grid is filled you reward yourself. I know it sounds supercheesy but honestly, I started doing ROM so I could get stickers, and not so my arm is better, lol. Give it a shot!
Carrie
erica

Post by erica »

Hi all thanx for the input. I actually have thought about Yoga, but unfortunately money is so tight around here I can't afford it.
The college unfortunately does not have therapists.
I'll have to give this all a bit more thought. Once again thank you for the input.
Erica:o)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Erica
Glad to see you posting again

Maybe you can explain to the phisio that it is impossible for you to do some of the rom's.... I think it is called passive...rom.... because if the muscle does not work we cannot do it...

I know just how you feel the doctor said I needed some more therapy just to keep what i GAINED FROM LAST YEARS 30 visits..... they really did help me.... so I just have to make the appointment instead of excuses....

Do you think perhaps we are all tired of having someone tells to stretch and move and we know we have to do these things to maintain what we have????

See if you can go even once a week.... I know it stinks at your age but maybe it will prevent some of the secondary injuries we have....(I mean us older folks.....LOL....LOL...

Kath