Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
south GA

subluxation

Post by south GA »

what is subluxation?
Lorrie

Re: subluxation

Post by Lorrie »

A subluxation is a mis-allignment or slight to fairly significant dislocation of a joint. Chiropractors talk about them all the time in the back. People with bpi often end up with a subluxation of the shoulder. The muscles that hold the humurous (big arm bone) in the shoulder socket aren't working, so the weight of the arm causes a drag and the humurous falls down (subluxes). It can lead to various pain issues in the shoulder and back. I wear a hemi-sling that pulls my arm back up into place but allows the arm to be free for the use I do have of it.

Hope this helps

Lorrie
herff94

Post by herff94 »

Lorrie~
Where did you get your sling? How often do you wear it?
Kathleen H
Lorrie

Post by Lorrie »

Hi, I ordered my sling thru my pt but they are available on-line. I wear it everyday. Its a little uncomfortable but you get used to it. I hated it at frirst but have gotten used to it. Really decreases stress on shoulder. There are 2 types of hemi-slings the one type takes your hand and arm out of function looks a lot like a regular sling - I don't like this type. The type I have looks more like a shoulder brace/support but is called a hemi-sling. There's another which I haven't tried but looks good for walking around etc. Here's the link

http://www.givmohrsling.com/Research.asp

I couln't find mine on-line but will look again when I get home. I'm visiting family for a couple of weeks.
jacko

Post by jacko »

Subluxation causes a constant ache in the neck and shoulder area that is different to, and on top of, BPI nerve pain. I used to wear a Wilmer Orthosis, which really did help. For more info: http://www.tbpiukgroup.homestead.com/re ... plint.html The photo shows Rekha wearing it, though normally it is worn unobtrusively beneath clothing. Since my amputation, all the subluxation pain has gone.
TooLheader

Post by TooLheader »

Its only been 18 months since my accident but I've been worried about subluxation developing and the pain/distress it may bring.The physio at the hospital suggested an "Omnotrain" she said this would help support the shoulder but also allow any muscles to develop to aid recovery.My TBPI affected arm is relativly pain free but with the "Omnotrain" on the arm changes completely.My arm for about an hour feels great and the dragging sensation lessons,then the arm starts to burn followed by mad pins and neeedles and pain in the elbow.I'd be intrested if anyone else had tried one,and how it felt.

Leon
Lorrie

Post by Lorrie »

Here is the hemi sling I use. It definately took some getting used to. Start out wearing for short periods and build up. Now I wear it all day.
Lorrie

Post by Lorrie »

Karl w/ a K

Post by Karl w/ a K »

Leon,
It sounds like your getting some pressure on your ulnar nerve. I get that when I wear my hemisling. But I have to because I just had surgery two weeks ago to innervate my supraspinatus muscle in my rotator cuff. I avulsed c5 & c6 and before the surgery I didn't have many muscles working in my shoulder, and not much pain. But now that the supraspinatus is innervated I can really feel the stretching of the shoulder subluxation. I can go for a while using my triceps to pull my shoulder back in place but then it gets tired and I have to wear the hemisling. It’s been 17 MOs since my accident, and the shoulder muscles are pretty atrophied. I found a good web site that explains the function of each muscle in the arm, and which nerve feeds it. Check it out. If you know which nerve is avulsed, or your trying to figure it out this site will help. http://www.eatonhand.com/index.htm
Good luck...Karl...