Motorcycle Adaptions

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Lindakids

Re: Motorcycle Adaptions

Post by Lindakids »

Again, I dont mean to hurt anyones feelings. I am trying to understand. A car you would most probably have to drive to get somewhere and I think a little safer than a motorcycle if you get in an accident. And even if the accident wasn't your fault on a motorcycle. Even it is was a person doesnt deserve to get this injury. You are so right, I am not a biker and hard for me to understand. I am just a really caring person and hate that this has happened to any of you which includes my son.
John K

Post by John K »

Have you ever had a passion for something? Its the thing that makes you tick you dream about it you feel at one with the universe when you do it. Everyone has different things that they love to do or live to do. For some of us its being free on a motorbike. I am very disadvantaged I own a motorcycle shop. I make a living by working on what I dream I could ride again. I occasionally ride the bike i built with my own two hands. I never sold it since I may never be able to duplicate it on my own. Its not the bike I crashed I used to have 3 bikes. I sold all but my "hotrod" bike. I built the engine and fabricated the fenders and tank mounts its different than most others thats kinda what makes it mine. To take the dream of riding my passion away is like I died the last time I rode. I guess you have to have passion for something to understand. Id rather die living than not live life. I know most of us here have been dealt a hell of a blow and nobody should ever have to suffer the way most of us do. But when im on my bike i dont feel the constant pain I live with. I understand the risks. But its me taking the risk and I am not putting anyone else at risk. So thats why we ride.

John K
Lindakids

Post by Lindakids »

Dear John and the rest of you that responded to me,
I understand now. Really I do. Motorcycles to you is what being a mother is to me. I would have gone through anything to have children. They have always been my passion. My prayer is that you and whoever else that has suffered this injury ride your bike in happiness. You all deserve this happiness. Thanks for helping me to understand. I learn everyday that we all are so different and that is what makes us unique.
jacko

Post by jacko »

Linda, it's really wonderful that you care so much, and I think your first sentence sums it up perfectly.
I am a bit different from some of the people who post here. I was a 100% all-weather biker, and PRECISELY because I don't want to injure my good arm, I am now a triker instead. I love riding a trike: the wind in me hair, the bugs in me teeth, etc. Many of the thrills and experiences of biking, but a more stable platform.
BUT there's never a day goes by when I don't wish I could be back on a bike again. It's in my blood. There's no feeling in the world as good as scratching round the twistys on two wheels; beating every car, even Ferraris, away from the lights; and filtering through queues of traffic before opening it up on the clear road. At least with the trike, I can still hold my head up at biker runs and parties, and be proud to be still part of the biking scene.
Lindakids

Post by Lindakids »

Hi Jacko,
I have learned so much from everyone on these boards. I have always been a little afraid of motorcycles but of course thats me. They just seem so unprotected. And it isn't even how you may ride it but the other fools in cars that may hit you. I certainly can understand the feeling that you all get from riding. If only I had a wand to change things. I think the trike thing is a fantastic idea! So glad you can still ride that and get in on all the action! Go for it!!!
Henry

Post by Henry »

I get the same from my snowmobile. Outside on the trails in the cold clear air, it is the greatest feeling.

We just had 30 cm of snow and we are heading out for the trails Friday. Yeah I think about accidents (hey Alison), but life is too short to hide. We have had so much taken away, I take back as much as I can, whenever I can.

Hang tough,

Henry
parisi

Post by parisi »

i know how your feeling, i was in a motorcycle accident and loss the use of my right arm. it's been two years but i still think about riding almost every day, good luck with getting back on. ED
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I've been back on my bike. A site that helped me is

http://www.dra.thewyz.com/forum/index.php

The ppl there are great and helpful. It's not very active but you can get a wealth of information there.
wazza

Post by wazza »

Best of luck with being able to find a way to ride. I am VERY LUCKY in my view that with my injury, about the only thing I can do that doesn't cause pain is ride my (new) bike unaided. My forearm, tricep + hand is good in my injured arm and I have a subluxed shoulder that is painful in most positions unless I am in a AC sling that makes my shoulder sit back in the joint. Riding my bike also does this so I try to ride as much as I can but I don't do anything to "push my luck". I had my accident in "the bush" when something scared me mid corner (most probably wildlife) and I swerved.. straight into a tree.

So I only do riding in areas that aren't "away from it all" as I can deal with city traffic easily as I can predict the idiots in cars who don't look where they are going/talking on phone etc while driving. It's them pesky animals that worry me.

This is the best OT that I can ever have > http://w1.bikepics.com/pics/2006%5C06%5 ... 1-full.jpg (my bike). I'm waiting for the day when my arm is good enough again that I can take it on the track for a 'good ride', however short or long away that is, it's a great motivator not to give up. I think I would have given up if I wasn't able to ride or at least be a big burden on my (6 yr relationship) by getting my gf to be with me all day instead of me riding the bike when I need a lift in spirits while she is at work. I'm currently @ home on sick benefits while awaiting results of my surgery in August (I was sacked from my job I was doing because of it) but insurance is helping me with the bills at moment. Not having to worry about paying bills/food and just dealing with the healing process has been a godsend for me of late .

Keep us updated on how you go, I for one am very interested and it's good to see that an injury like ours can't stop the passion one has for bikes :)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Goeorgeous bike, ppl at another message board I go to love the 675.
I have an SV650. I swapped the forks with a GSXR so I can have better suspension as well as a rear shock from a 636. I also changed the headlight setup with a Buell. I'm currently taking it apart so I can put on MX bars, SS brake lines, a 180 rear tire, shorter dog bones, and would like to the forks anodized gold to look alil updated. It'll keep me busy, thats why I do it.

I know exactly what you mean about riding. When I ride I feel like nothing is wrong with my arm. Looks like we have similar injuries. I do have some tricep and hand. My bicep is coming back slowly since surgery, but I'm still not able to use it for day to day life.

[IMG]http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d71/l ... 050179.jpg[/IMG]