shoulder fusion

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
buddyfan

Re: shoulder fusion

Post by buddyfan »

Can I ask why you have the fusion? It seems very drastic. My BPI was in 1979, avulsed C5,6. I have good hand movement but nothing else and my shoulder is always dislocated, my palm turns back unless I really think about it. The dislocation does not cause me pain. The look of the shoulder and arm may be more relevant for men, a wasted arm looks far more obvious on a man than woman.
I just don't wear anything without shoulders to cover it.
buddyfan

Post by buddyfan »

Having said all that, I suppose I don't actually know if the dislocated shoulder causes the pain. I presume it's the avulsed nerves shooting not the shoulder.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I've been told by my dr. that arthritis can build up in the shoulder and make your pain worse, not necessarly nerve pain , but your pain in general worse. My Dr. gives me cortizone shots 3 times per year to help with the arthritis that is accompanied with bpi. She also said a shoulder fusion sould be a last resort.
herff94

Post by herff94 »

I'm so happy this one is still posting. I can't find any info on the net for shoulder fusion. Its not that common, I'm guessing. My docs @ Mayo want to do it but my PT @ Northwesten in Chicago said to hold off on it as long as possible but she didn't say why???
My injury was 87' and I know the pain is nerve damage. (C5, 6 and 7 pulled out) My docs @ Mayo said the fusion would not help my pain. I guess I'm confused why they do this??? Any answers? Will my arm just fall off one day when I'm walking downtown?
Kathleen
Gianni

Post by Gianni »

herff94

Post by herff94 »

GREATTTT! After reading that above sight I think I'll run out and get a shoulder fusion!!
gunther

Post by gunther »

To Whom it May Concern:
DO NOT HESITATE to get a shoulder fusion. would you rather get an amputation or have constant subluxation or dislocation? As far as pain issues go, the nerve pain will always be there but the pain of having gravity pull on the extremity and the sublux's etc. I had a fusion in 1987 only about 6months after my MVA. sure, i can't raise my arm over 90 degrees or rotate it, but you accomidate. My dancing career went in the shitter but I am now an M.D.
Go For It!!!!
gunther

Post by gunther »

I must disagree with buddy fan... a wasted arm looks bad on anyone! with a fusion or not the arm will atrophy without nervous supply. and a fusion gives good shoulder support.
gunther

Post by gunther »

NICOLE: I was 16 when I had my fusion, I am now 37. It Does not impact my breasts in any way nor does it cause me any pain. But then again I did not have any type of tendon transfer or pectoral surgeries prior.
Hwee Yong

Post by Hwee Yong »

Hi Teri,

My dad had bone infection too and is on the road to recovery but still very worry so would like to know more about bone infection so please email at hwee_yong@gmx.net so that I can check with you more on bone infection?

By the way, my dad too have bpi all nerve avulsed.

Regards,
Hwee Yong