C-section outcomes

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
admin
Site Admin

Re: C-section outcomes

Post by admin »

Hi, Karen,

I had a C-section last year with my third baby (my second baby has the BPI). I didn't want it, but I knew I needed it. It was a longer recovery, of course, than a vaginal. I was back on my feet in a week but didn't have my full strength back for six weeks. So yeah, it is a longer recovery. Nevertheless, I would not have had another vaginal for anything, given the risks for another BPI. The doctors told me that I should never have another normal delivery.
I realize the difficulty you face in not having help. That does make it hard. Do you have any friends who could assist, even for a few hours a day? Could you hire a baby-sitter to help watch your other child? Do you attend church, or know anyone there who could help out? If your child is only one, then at least you'll be able to nap when he or she does!
All three of my kids are under 4, so I know how crazy it is to be recovering from a C-section with other kids to worry about. But you CAN do it! In fact, all three of my kids got really sick at the same time when I got home from the hospital, so I was recovering from a C-section AND staying up all night with sick kids. But I lived to tell about it.
Really, after the first week, it's not that bad. And you'd feel pretty lousy for the first week after a vaginal, anyway! You won't be at full strength, but you'll be able to get around pretty well. If you could just get help for that first week, I'll bet you could do it. It's not worth risking another BPI, in my opinion.
So I say ... get the C-section. Doesn't your doctor think you should?

Janet
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The hardest part was at the hospital. I was there for a week and it just felt awful. The pain was so bad, and the pain in my back was the worst. Overall it took about two weeks and I began to feel like myself. But I guess I really didnt have a choice but to recover fast because alot of the responsibility depended on me. I had help but not what I expected,maybe its just hard for others to undestand if they have never experienced it.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I understand the fear of having another vaginal birth. I am sure I will seriously consider a c-section with my next pregnancy, yet there is part of me that says, if a doctor doesn't apply excessive traction on a babies head and does what he or she should versus panicking, than babies are not injured. I have met so many families where the proper delivery techniques were not used or parents were lead to believe that is what the doctor "had to do" to save the baby.

I know there are risks "IF" we have doctors that aren't prepared or skilled, but there are also many risks associated with c-sections. If you do your homework, you will see things aren't as clear cut as they seem. Part of me really struggles with watching all these women get c-sections, and forgetting all the serious risks which are also associated with c-sections, when the bottom line is....babies don't get hurt when people keep their hands off of their heads and even necks in some cases. The proper maneuvers don't require any hands applying any pressure on the head.

I have met 2 moms who encountered significant shoulder dystocia with babies that were completely lodged, doctor called in extra help, proper maneuvers were done and both babies came out just fine. Sometimes I find myself feeling upset, that fear of incompetency pushes us all to go through major surgery to have a baby. If a doctor is skilled, our children don't get hurt. I guess we have every reason to have lost faith in the idea of competent doctors, but then again we are letting them perform surgery on us? Maybe having another baby isn't the best idea for me. I just don't know.
tcon

Post by tcon »

I just had a c-section in december and I thought it wasn't bad at all. My c-section was at 4:30pm and i was able to walk to the nursery that night at 8pm. I was alittle uncomfortable when in the hospital (4days) so I kept up with my motrin but when i came home from the hospital i never took another pain killer. I didnt lift my 16month old for 2 weeks though. I think it really depends on the person. My cousin had a c-section 2days after me and she was very uncomfortable with gas pains. I had no problem. good luck
bugsntazz

Post by bugsntazz »

Hello Karen,
Congradulations!. My first child was BPI vaginal delivery. He was 9lb 9oz, 22 inches long at 38 weeks, My son was apag of 1, not breathing, In ICU nine days,had BPI and head injury also. I was in hospital seven days, went home on crutches and could not walk for two weeks. Alot of pain. I had my second child two years ago. I had a planned c section at 39 weeks. She was 9lb 3 oz 19 inches, Her apar score was a 9. Totally unbelievable difference. The recovery for me was much much easier. My doctor had told me that the day after the c section it would hurt to stand but if I could bear that it would reduce my recovery time. Of course he gave me pain medicine. Well I did stand the next day and he was right, it was very painful but i was able to take pain medicine and walk. I could not lift my daughter yet but could her her sitting down. My hospital stay was three days with the c section. At home, I needed pain medicine for about a week. The faster you walk (not long but consistent) the quicker your recovery is. Also, my OB told me that a planned c section is quicker to recover from then when you start labor. I had actually started going into labor when I was at the hospital so they paiged the Doctor two hours early to start the c section. He did not want me to start labor. At home it was a little rough, especially with my son was 3 at the time. OVerall, I would opt for the c section and it was not as bad as I thought. Good luck to you.
tina arvizu

Post by tina arvizu »

My C-Section recovery was like a stroll down a country lane compared to my vaginal delivery recovery. Well it is almost 4 years later from my vaginal and I still have problems. Any recovery from a C-Section will be nothing compared to time and money spent taking care of a BPI child. Also, I am the director of the Southern California Brachial Plexus Network and if you need some extra help after the baby comes we have so many wonderful people in our group maybe we can get you some help. Please feel free to email me at tinaarvizu@hotmail.com if you want to explore these options.
JanAmes

Post by JanAmes »

you mentioned that your husband has family - are you able to pay for the airfare for someone to come to help you the first week or so? My family couldn't help due health and work commitments, but my mother-in-law came (we paid for her ticket) and helped out the first week when we had our last one (we didn't know if it would be c-sect or not, she's ROBPI- sadly familiar story here couldashouldawoulda hadweknown). Do you have any friends that would be able/willing to stay with you, or schedule a couple of friends to come in for a couple hours each day to help the first week or so? Do not feel guilty about utilizing whatever resources you have at home - your 1 y/o will be ok for a couple weeks of videos & tv dinners (you can make ahead) & DH can help when he gets home from work.

Congrats & best wishes for a wonderful delivery!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I just wanted to add that I had a vaginal birth with my daughter. While I had a 3rd degree tear, the experience was not nearly as awful as others have experienced. I trust that you will make the right decision for yourself but discuss with your doctor further your concerns. There are MANY benefits to birthing vaginally for the baby and even if you have a c-section, there are still benefits to your baby for being allowed to labor first.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Null,

Did you have a vaginal birth after a bpi? I know this issue is quite touchy on these boards and people are often left to feel that they need to get a c-section to avoid injury to their baby or they are doing the wrong thing. I would really like an opportunity to converse with those who have differing opinion, information and experiences, since my recent studies have led me to some interesting information and even more questions? Is there any way to connect? Kind of hard since we are both anonymous. I wonder if we could connect somehow indirectly? Or if you would feel comfortable sharing more on these message boards for those of us who are open to learning more from different viewpoints.