What to expect after primary surgery

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
JadaMommy

What to expect after primary surgery

Post by JadaMommy »

My Daughter had her primary surgery done back in November 2003. It is almost 4 months post-opt and I really haven't seen much improvement. Am I expecting too much too soon?
LisaL

Re: What to expect after primary surgery

Post by LisaL »

Hannah had primary in June 2002. We did not see drastic improvement until one year later. After about 6 months we did see some improvement. We didn't see the bicep movement until a year later.

Lisa
Shannon03

Post by Shannon03 »

Thank you both for posting this topic. We are getting ready for primary and I don't want to go into it with unrealistic expectations on recovery time. Thanks!
Shannon
Francine_Litz

Post by Francine_Litz »

4 months is still early.... but don't listen to me - call down there and ask.... you can always do an EMG to check and see what's connected. And if the connection is not made, there may be time to try another nerve graft.

Maia had her primary in December and I was so worried about biceps...so 5 months post surgery, we went to TCH for an EMG - and yes she had biceps thank God. Dr. Nath chuckled that we came all the way there for an EMG - but I had to know for sure. I didn't want the window closing on another chance if she needed it.

Call and ask.
Francine_Litz

Post by Francine_Litz »

We didn't see a lot up front...but I will say that we saw improvement until Maia was around 4 1/2... so it takes a good long time for these nerves to heal and grow down the arm. This is certainly no instant fix. And it teaches us the lesson of patience! (whether we like it or not!)