3D CT Scan Results

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Julie-work

3D CT Scan Results

Post by Julie-work »

Well we got the scans yesterday and I was thankful that they did them right since my daughter had to be sedated to do it. But the scan showed what we feared. Her clavicle and acromium are overgrown and the humerus is dropping out of socket again. Has anyone who had the anterior capsule release ever had some type of scan done to see what way the bone is out of socket (i.e. front, back, down). What about kids who had the acromiumplasty/caps surgery?
m&mmom

Re: 3D CT Scan Results

Post by m&mmom »

Julie,
Matthew had the anterior capsule release. Prior to the surgery he had an mri which clearly showed his partial dislocation. Before the cast came off he had another mri to make sure everything healed properly.
Cindy
Julie-work

Post by Julie-work »

Cindy,

Did it show which was the bone was dislocated? Did the MRI show if the clavicle and acromion were also overgrown?
Julie-work

Post by Julie-work »

I should preview before I post!!! I meant to ask did the MRI show which WAY the bone was dislocating.
m&mmom

Post by m&mmom »

It showed he was dislocated out of the back. We knew it was capsule tightness that was causing his internal rotation and dislocation and Nath wasn't doing his surgery yet so I didn't ask specifically about that. He will be having a follow up MRI in September and I plan on looking at his old mri and comparing it to the new one. I can update you then as to what I find out.

Cindy
Francine_Litz

Post by Francine_Litz »

Maia's was posteriorly dislocated (out the back) and her current CT Scans show the overgrown acromion and clavicle (http://www.injurednewborn.com/maia/bones.html) and she is scheduled for an acromioplasty in the fall.

Julie-work

Post by Julie-work »

I found the 3D CT scan so interesting and telling. My daughter's humerus is not posterially dislocated. It seems like it is dropping down from the socket rather than being pushed forward or back.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think many of our children have that drooping down look. I know several of us have seen it on regular x-rays. I think it is because the muscles are just not there or are not strong enough to hold things were they should be. I also wonder how laying down on MRI & CT tables flat on your back changes all of this any ways. It has to push the humeral head.

Do you think the drooping down is subluxation/dislocation? Posterior dislocation tends to be the norm although I have heard of a few cases of anterior dislocation, but the drooping wouldn't be subluxation or would it be?