Fought my last fight....and lost ....no IEP

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Karrie in MD.

Fought my last fight....and lost ....no IEP

Post by Karrie in MD. »

Well I had Kyle's mediation meeting this morning and I'm unhappy to say I lost again. I'm done....I'm tired of fighting a brick wall. The school still does not see his injury as being educationally impacting his ability to learn. I presented all the articles, doctors notes, all the info Rich had given me (thank you Rich), but no luck. So Kyle no longer has an IEP. He has a 504 but only for modifications that he may need in things like PE, or anything that may arise. They said I can always ask for an evaluations and if the need arises for him to need OT services then they would look at it again. But for now...No direct OT services through the school. It has been a long fight and I am just so tired of the whole thing. So I will just work on doing everything through his private therapists and at home. Which isn't bad....I just hate being defeated. I sort of feel like I have failed Kyle. But I have tried everything possible I could. There is no where else to turn to. I guess I should be grateful(which I am) that Kyle is doing so well. Thank you to everyone who offered me assistance or advice on this matter. I wish it could have turned out better.
Karrie
claudia

Re: Fought my last fight....and lost ....no IEP

Post by claudia »

Rich and Karrie:
I am so sorry that you didn't get what you wanted from the schools. I have followed your discussions (and printed some of them out) with rapt attention as we will go for our CSE meeting in the late spring.
My OT is testing Juliana late because she wants to use the BOT instead of the Peabody. I am so proud of Juliana's progress and how bright and personable she has become, but I know that will have an impact on the services they give her. She is a fabulous compensator and can fool most OTs and PTs into thinking she is doing what they want.
We are lucky in that there is another bpi child in the district. He is in 6th grade now and his mother is a bulldog. Our previous CSE chair was a powerhungry idiot and noone liked him or could work with him. I have met the new CSE chair and she is lovely. Plus, this mom has paved some part of the way for us. However, her son has never had surgery, so some of his restrictions are different.

I have already been told that I will only get a 504 for Juliana, but that it will include everything we want. Well, lets see...

Thank you both for sharing your experiences. Good or bad, they help us all.

claudia
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Please help me understand here! 504 ... BOT ... Peabody . .. what are these things? My son is about to be tested to have access to an OT through the school district, so I'm pretty sure I ought to be aware of these terms, but I'm not!
Could someone please explain what these are?
Thanks so much!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Rich:

Thank you! I now have my summer reading list. :-) Appreciate the links.

Janet
JanAmes

Post by JanAmes »

Rich, thank you for the great reading list, there are many of us who appreciate it.

The problems I'm having are with my non-BPI DD with ADHD (qualifies for services under "other health impairment)

I have questions - Has anyone had an IEP where goals were set and at the following annual ARD they were not met but just dropped? The school OT identified problems and set goals last year. I have been beside myself so angry I can hardly think - Where's the accountability? They were simple OT goals and I've never gotten an adequate explanation of why they weren't met. I am requesting a copy of the progress notes, I suspect she was not seen for the amount of time set in her IEP - what can I do anyway? I am having an IEE done this week, and if she makes any reccomendations, I plan to request the school pay for the service outside since the inside people failed after working with her for a year. I have a very low opinion of the quality of service for OT provided by the school - Seems to be great diagnosis, but poor service (both OT's have bad relationship with DD).
Cara
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My oldest daughter suffered a LOBPI. We were sent home form the hospital without being told anything was wrong. She had nerve graft surgery at one year of age, tendon transfer and release at 3 1/2 yrs of age.

Post by Cara »

Karrie

You have fought the goos fight. When ever it comes to Rosalynn I always say I just want to be able to tell her as an adult, we did everything we could. You have done everything you can. We are in the situation with a therapist through the schools that I am thinking it is almost like we lost on the IEP. Everything they work on is teaching her to compensate and discouraging use of the injured arm. Maybe God has a plan for you guys that this path will eventually save you some heartache and further frustration. God Bless.